Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so confused and worried. I took Oscar to the vet today as he is still limping slightly (seems to be left shoulder) and is no better on Metacam. He is going to have an xray which I was prepared for and hadn't fed Oscar, however, the vet totally threw me when he asked if I wanted him to castrate Oscar at the same time to avoid the need for a second anaesthetic later.

I said yes as it was something I had considered but hadn't given serious thought to because I was worried about an anaesthetic for a healthy dog. As he was having an anaesthetic anyway it seemed sensible. Now that I am home, however, I feel a rising sense of panic. The vet says 6 months is the normal age they castrate dogs at but is this right? I'm sure I've seen post where people recommend later. I don't think they are operating until 11.00am so I could change my mind. Am I doing the wrong thing?

Norma

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry Norma I can't advise you but I really hope someone else will be able to soon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Norma

There are fairly clear debates from both sides of the argument....I think deeper in the Puppy section you will find further posts concerning the Pros and Cons.

We did actually castrate Beetle at around 6 months. OH was extremely keen - one of his dogs having been attacked in the past by an entire male and well, I didn't have particularly strong views from the opposite...

Only time will tell - but The Bug didn't change his personality at all - and is the gentlest dog you could ever meet...

I am sure more experienced owners will give a broader view - there are certainly some health benefits to waiting, but at the same time, I am happy with our decision to do the op early

g

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Some people say wait til nearer 18 months to allow the dog to be more mature but it won`t do Oscar any harm to be done now and as you say will mean he won`t need another GA at a later date, this will also save you money as thats one of the expensive parts of the op, not that thats a consideration for you I know.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I was feeling so lousy. It just took me by surprise and I always like to think things through.

Poor Oscar had spent all night in his crate and had no breakfast, just to be put in another crate at the vets for a few hours with an empty tummy to wait for his turn. I feel worse about that the than the actual treatment. My gut feeling was that having him castrated now when he had to have a GA anyway would avoid him having to go through that again in the future.

With all my panic over the castration I have completely forgotten about what he went in for in the first place. I really hope he is ok and there is nothing seriously wrong with his shoulder. After losing my last dog I vowed I wouldn't get so attached to another but they just get right under your skin.

Norma

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Yes, there are arguments for leaving them until they're older, but as he's already having a GA and that's traumatic in itself, AND he's liable to need reduced exercise for a while anyway, it seems to make sense to have him castrated now.

I don't think it's a case of you may have made the wrong decision, I think you've made the right decision under the circumstances - it's likely I would've done the same thing, but I have a bitch and it's a a different set of rules regarding getting them "done" !!

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hope Oscar is ok and back home with you soon. I didn't realise he was having problems with his shoulder.

Hope the xrays show some good news :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just picked Oscar up from the Vet's and he is feeling a bit sorry for himself and obviously not happy about what's gone on down below. How guilty do I feel!

The vet needs to see me to discuss the xrays but I can't see him until 6.20pm. I thought I'd bring Oscar home anyway as I was desperate to see him and I will go back down again later. I am trying not to worry but I assume that if he needs to see me then he must have found something. I just hope it's nothing serious or that it's somethinf fixable.

Norma

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've seen the vet now and the xrays showed nothing!!!! I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand there is nothing obviously like a fracture or dysplasia but on the other we still don't know why he's limping. In a way I'm kind of glad he had the snip at the same time, at least it wasn't a GA for nothing!

Norma

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Good to hear there`s nothing bad from the xrays, hard to know where to go from here though i guess, did the vet suggest anything else?

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Glad the xrays showed nothing! And glad Oscar is home with you.

Why do vets take a dog in earlier than needed, leaving them in a crate for hours before their op?? We were able to take Luna in at 1030 when she was spayed, stay with her while she was sedated and while she fell asleep meaning the whole experience was less stressful for her.

What's next for Oscar's limp? Did they do elbow and shoulder joints? It took loads of staring and re-checking for us and vet to spot the stress fracture Luna had on an xray in Apr. Hope he has a good recovery!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hope they find the answer to the limp pretty soon!

Poor ole Mr "de-plumbed"....the Bug made pitiful whines all night when he came home, but had completely forgotten about it by the next morning!

He was more annoyed at the on-lead walks for a week

Love n hugs to Oscar
g

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Laura your vet sounds fantastic! I wish our vet was like that. When Rosie went into be spayed she had to be in by 07:45! I turned up at 07:50 and got the sharp end of the receptionists tongue for being late - yet when I rang up at 12:30pm to find out how it went they hadn't done her yet! It really made me cross!!

Incidentally, we had a similar thing with Rosie at 10 months. She would get a funny limp on her back leg, which seemed to be her hip. Of course, we were anxious about HP and the vet did x-rays which revealed nothing at all. In the end it just seemed to wear off, we were just careful not to exercise her too hard.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Glad to hear the x-rays were all fine.

Laura - that's something i've wondered too, I think it's a british thing as i've yet to find a vet that does it differently here. Our singapore vet would give us an appointment slot and we would stay for the sedation part too. On one occasion we waited for him to come around and on another I stayed in for the procedure (while they re cut wound and re-stitched.) it was much less stressful for both of us!
When Nellie went here in the Uk she had to be their at 7.45am and the vet said they 'slot' them in when they can and to collect her at 5pm....which all sounded a bit chaotic and rushed i thought 8O :?

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Laura your vet sounds fantastic! I wish our vet was like that. When Rosie went into be spayed she had to be in by 07:45! I turned up at 07:50 and got the sharp end of the receptionists tongue for being late - yet when I rang up at 12:30pm to find out how it went they hadn't done her yet! It really made me cross!!
My old vet now unfortunately! She was in Belgium and things were far more geared towards the animals in my opinion. When I phoned the vet 80% of the time it would've been her that picked up, the other times it would be her Mum who worked as assistant! I hadn't realised how comforting that was until returning to the UK and learning that GA were needed for xrays and you don't pay the vet themselves but the receptionist out front!

I've a feeling that I'm going to have a run in with UK vet at some point because having Luna in a crate before an op for an entire morning is not acceptable! No wonder you were fuming! Rosie could've been enjoying her normal routine for hours!!!!

Laura - that's something i've wondered too, I think it's a british thing as i've yet to find a vet that does it differently here. Our singapore vet would give us an appointment slot and we would stay for the sedation part too. On one occasion we waited for him to come around and on another I stayed in for the procedure (while they re cut wound and re-stitched.) it was much less stressful for both of us!
When Nellie went here in the Uk she had to be their at 7.45am and the vet said they 'slot' them in when they can and to collect her at 5pm....which all sounded a bit chaotic and rushed i thought
It does sound chaotic! Why have the UK vets gone all NHS???? Surely it stresses all the animals more to be crated up away from familiar faces and watch as one-by-one they are carried off to come back sleepy. Do they get regular toilet breaks?? I'd be willing to pay extra and travel for a bit more TLC - any new vets take note!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts