Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 10 month old Choc lab called Milo. He is gorgeous and I luv him to bits but I have started dreading taking him for a walk, im always loooking around for people or other dogs. I would just like some advice about how I can control him better.

I usually have him off the lead as we walk round fields and footpaths. When I see another dog I say 'wait' which he usually does and I am able to put him back on his lead. Sometimes he runs off to play with it. He is not aggressive n always just wants to play. However, if i manage to get him back on his lead he creeps up towards the other dog and then lies down. I try to get him back up with treats, talking to him, pulling him but he only gets up when the other dog gets a bit closer. Then suddenly he jumps up and starts jumping n playing with the other dog ( I must look hilarous trying to stop him). What can I do? Do u think I should have him on the lead all the time as he does pull before i start letting him off again? How can I stop him running off after others and how can I stop him lying on the floor!!! We took him to a local dog show recently just to try to get him used to lots of dogs and other people but all he did was pull me everywhere and get very excited when all the other dogs seemed to b brilliantly behaved. Any help would be great thanks.

Also I have thought about taking him to training classes but am scared that he will b the naughtiest 1 there n try n play with the other dogs all the time, dragging me with him!!!

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
When I see another dog I say 'wait' which he usually does and I am able to put him back on his lead. Sometimes he runs off to play with it. He is not aggressive n always just wants to play. However, if i manage to get him back on his lead he creeps up towards the other dog and then lies down. I try to get him back up with treats, talking to him, pulling him but he only gets up when the other dog gets a bit closer
Think about it from his point of view, you say wait, he does and then he doesn't get to see the doggy - hardly an incentive to obey is it? :D

With mine I try to encourage them that we go together from young pups and they have to accept they don't greet every dog. I also start to build in little sits or waits so that I can control them with other dogs as a distraction. I only really clip mine on if the other dog is leashed or unfriendly.
Is there a reason you don't want him to greet?

If I were you I would say wait, praise him and clip him on....but then reward him by releasing him to greet. That way the day you really do need him to not greet and put him on leash he will still listen and obey your 'wait' command.

Re the lying down that's normal doggy behavious, he's young so is submissing to the approaching dog - I wouldn't try to interfere there.
The leaping up is a play invitation and again is fairly common - older dogs might not like it and he might get a gruff or two but he'll quickly learn which dogs this game works with :)

Lastly, I would really recommend training classes for you both. Not because he's naughty but because it will help you understand him better and bond. Sure, one session he might be the naughtiest dog there but another he'll be the best, it's all good fun :D

edited to add: generally the more dogs he sees and greets and is generally aorund the less of a novelty they'll be. he's pulling from excitement and frustration i expect. If he can't manage to heel when he sees one try a 'sit' reward his attention for being on you. Try not to let him pulling be rewarded by getting a greet from another dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for your help!! I will try some of these ideas. The only reason that I am wary of him greeting other dogs is that he once ran off to a dog (it was on the lead) and the owner wasnt very happy, this was when he was still very young. So like you said, its important that he does wait when I need him to. I am going to go with your advice and keep him off if the other dog is off and not interfer with the lying down thing, at least I know its normal now. What do you reccomend for when he is on the lead and pulling?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts