Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So I'm now the proud owner of my first Labrdor. He is two years of age black boy and he is absolutely adorable!

I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you with experience may help me with....

So far, he is a very well behaved boy. He doesn't bark, chew and is fully house trained. The only issue is he is obsessed with my 10year old daughter, not only does he sniff her continuely in her private parts he actually tries to hump her. (Sorry for the expression!) I'm wondering how I can get this to stop as it's very upsetting for her as he never stops when she is around.

Also wondering what kibble you would recommend for him
Thank thanks in advance

Paul
Norfolk UK

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome! Someone with more experience than me will help you with the humping question. I have mine on Skinner's kibble as it is a good food but doesn't break the bank :0)

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Hi Paul I'm no expert so not sure what to suggest about the humping - is he neutered?

Regarding food - everyone will have their own favourites. I use Burns Canine Alert (£31 for 12kg) Wainrights and Skinners are very popular too. I avoid wheat, maize, salt, colours and artificial additives and steer clear of anything with loads of pointless fillers. I like an ingredients list that I can understand - I don't want to see loads of long unpronouncable ingredients.

Welcome to the site. Stick around and tell us more about your adventures with your new friend. We need photos too.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Welcome.

No expert myself but Judy still humps when excited or looking to dominate -- nowt sexual in it at all and she's always done it.
I'd say the issue here may well be a perceived weakness in your daughter -- be difficult to get your daughter to be more dominant over the dog but not impossible. Why not try your daughter being more of a leader? We "led" Judy using Jan Fennell's bonding techniques with the best one being pretending to eat from the dogs bowl before placing it down and holding the dog off the food by command and then releasing to eat. We also followed the 5 minute ignore rule, always us in and out of doors, gates etc first and I added a couple like laying on Judy's bed and not letting her on it until I got up.
Sounds mad but I'm positive they all worked!!!

As for kibble we've just started on BETA Senior from PAH

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
I'm afraid I don't agree with some of the things DJGoody suggests. Dogs aren't trying to dominate the world. I think he literally just finds her smell very interesting! Dogs hump for far more reasons than sexual, mainly just when excitement, boredom, tiredness and 'why not' dictate in my experience with Tucks and his friends!

The first question I would ask is:
'What should he be doing instead of this unwanted behaviour?'

Should he be eating, sleeping, lying on his bed, walking, chewing, playing with toys. training?

Decide what the answer is and then say NO to the unwanted behaviour and ask him or re-focus him back onto what he should be doing at that point.
Eg a down stay on his bed, some heelwork, a treat ball full of treats, a chew toy, or some trick training.

She could do this with your help eventually but you will have to lead it initially.

The other thing to do if you are not able to do this is put him behind a baby gate or in a crate with a filled kong if he is real pain.

Reactions: paws

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
I agree with Laura.

If you haven't already been to kennel club good citizens training classes it would be great to join and your daughter to go with you and your boy so she gets to practice telling him what to do in a nice way in a controlled environment. At home you will need to police it. I would tell her to be a tree and stand nice and tall, no flapping hands, if he tries to hump her she must not shriek or run she needs to say NO in a big stern voice (practice this with her away from the dog) and turn away or step and turn away from him so he knows she doesn't like it.

Has she ever trained him? Set up a session with you and treats, you can keep him on the lead so you are in control if needed. Your daughter can then ask him for a sit then offer a treat on a flat outstretched palm of her hand, she can also ask him for paw and down if he knows these commands. The idea being that you are showing him how you would like him to interact with her. His motivation is that he just loves her a lot and he wants her to know so show him how she likes him to behave. Another thing to do is both you and she must have rules when playing with him - toys must only be grabbed when you say and must be given up when you say that way your dog won't get himself into trouble grabbing her toys when she's holding them or grabbing clothes because as a dog he thinks he's playing but as a child your daughter or her friends may not.

Here's a few educational games to help kids stay safe and learn how to interact with dogs -
http://www.safetyarounddogs.org.uk/
http://www.thebluedog.org/en/

Look for Dr Ian Dunbar's dog training for children DVD clips are also available on youtube its a bit old but good. There is also a series called who let the dogs out which was on CBBC which will help your daughter learn a few things she can do with your dog.

Above all though training classes for you all or a qualified COAPE or APDT behaviourist session at home with you all would be the best.

Whatever kibble your dog is on if he is happy and healthy and you can afford it there is no need to change. There is no one 'best' food that suits every dog.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Happy to be shot down -- different things work for different people / dogs.

Certainly draw the line at Cesar Milan style knees and pin collars etc. That is just cruelty and suppresses a problem rather than fixing it (in my book)

·
Registered
80 Posts
As a for instance. Simon has never humped other dogs. But yesterday a dog came out with us, with anal glands that needed... "Seeing to." He could not leave the dog alone due to the irresistible smell. Nothing sexual at all. Today the dog did not walk with us and he was fine. :0)

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
Hi Paul

You've had loads of good advice but I do think of us all being "living beings" on this earth and we all need to be trained to interact with respect.

Dogs do smell each others "bits", I've always called it "checking health and temper"!!! and if a dog doesn't approve it says NO!!!! (with a quick snarl ;) )

It is a good idea to take him to KC training, with your daughter, and you can all interact with respect :D

I know your daughter is only 10 but it won't be too long before she has to say the "BIG NO" (and GRRRRR mean it, with a quick snarl!!) to boy humans!!!! ;)

Chel x

Reactions: paws and fiz

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Hi Paul

You've had loads of good advice but I do think of us all being "living beings" on this earth and we all need to be trained to interact with respect.

Dogs do smell each others "bits", I've always called it "checking health and temper"!!! and if a dog doesn't approve it says NO!!!! (with a quick snarl ;) )

It is a good idea to take him to KC training, with your daughter, and you can all interact with respect :D

I know your daughter is only 10 but it won't be too long before she has to say the "BIG NO" (and GRRRRR mean it, with a quick snarl!!) to boy humans!!!! ;)

Chel quote;

:cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

Got to agree, plus some of the girl canines have an obsession with crotch and humping with certain people [Mischa my cheeky girl does try it with people she has known since pup and is really excited to see them:rolleyes:].

Until your daughter is able to assert herself with a loud Oi!!!!! or OFF!!!!! or NO!!!!! perhaps if she thinks he is excited she could just walk away and come back when he is calm.

June

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. There's lots of good advise here and I shall be exploring all options. I shall let you know how I get on

Many thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts