Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been reading this forum with interests for a while and thought it about time to pluck up courage to join. I've a beautiful, lively one year old black lab called Pippy.(My seven year old named her). We also have a very bossy, disdainful ten year old ginger cat called Fin. He just about tolerates Pippy - so long as she knows her place - which is of course way beneath him in his eyes.

I'm new to owning dogs but after having Pippy with us, I've become rather addicted and am relentlessly boring my non doggy friends with tales of how amazing and lovely she is and what a perfect breed labradors are as family dogs! (Not that I'm at all biased you understand :wink: ). I haven't worked out how to put a photo up yet but will soon.

Look forward to getting to know you all a bit better and even though none of you know me, thanks so much for all the tips I've been picking up through reading the forums. She had bloat a couple of weeks ago and I only knew what it was because of the health forum here. and was able to get her to the vets really quickly.
:)

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Hi and welcome to you (sorry dont know your name :wink: ) and Pippy to LF :hello2: :hello2:

Well done for noticing the symptons of bloat and getting Pippy to the vets on time, that must have been so scary 8O Lovely to hear that she is OK though :D

Look forward to pictures :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Linda,good to meet you, I'm Alex. Yes it was scary but I recognised the signs after having read about it here a couple of months back. It meant an emergency visit to the vets on a sunday evening and they were fantastic.

She'd got into the utility area where I kept the dog food and had blooming well eaten about 3 kg in one go. She's from a working line and weighs 20 kg and when we took her in the vets she weighted 23!! They kept her in, put her under a GA, pumped her stomach, xrayed her etc and we picked her up the next eve. She was very sorry for herself and on antibiotics and restricted diet for a while. I really hope it doesn't happen again.

I've since switched to a BARF diet and she's thriving which is a silver lining I suppose.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Pippy said:
Hi Linda,good to meet you, I'm Alex. Yes it was scary but I recognised the signs after having read about it here a couple of months back. It meant an emergency visit to the vets on a sunday evening and they were fantastic.

She'd got into the utility area where I kept the dog food and had blooming well eaten about 3 kg in one go. She's from a working line and weighs 20 kg and when we took her in the vets she weighted 23!! They kept her in, put her under a GA, pumped her stomach, xrayed her etc and we picked her up the next eve. She was very sorry for herself and on antibiotics and restricted diet for a while. I really hope it doesn't happen again.

I've since switched to a BARF diet and she's thriving which is a silver lining I suppose.
Hi Alex

Bleedy nora, now that is scary and I have to admit I had never heard of bloat until I read it on here, well done to you for spotting it :D Glad that your girl is OK now :) Labs are greedy beggars though aren't they :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi Alex and welcome to LF, good to hear LF enabled you to know the symptoms of bloat and save Pippy`s life, I look forward to seeing pics of her soon :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts