Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Cindy and I have a yellow bitch - honey that has just had a litter of pups. although she had 8, 2 sadly died but the others are doing well. Honey has 3 black boys and 3 yellow girls!! They are now 15 days old and trying to walk and open their eyes. Unfortunately Honey isn't a very good mum as on the night of the birth she attack one pup that quickly died. On advice from the vets we have a soft muzzle on her that alllows her to care for the pups but prevents her from attacking them. Once I have mastered the art of attaching photos I will post some of my darling little bundles and of course mum.

regards cindy

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new arrivals. Sorry to hear about the 2 who sadly died. Sounds like you have your hands full!

We'd love to see some photos - and I hope you enjoy the site!

Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hiya and welcome cindy

im sorry to hear about the 2 lost puppys :( how old is honey? was the birth of her puppys difficult for her? glad the remaining pups are doing well will you be ready to feed them if mum refuses??

were are mum and pups kept? how is she with the soft muzzle on her?

brandy had a litter of 9 pups nearly 4 years ago but she was a excellent mum i had to hand feed 1 from 2 days after birth as it couldnt latch on her brothers and sisters were pushing her out the way..lol. she had 8 black and 1 yellow

look forward to seeing pictures :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Fay the first one to die, died in the vets due to a umbical hernia and the intestines rupture. and of course sadly the other one by mum. Honey is a bundle of joy she loves nothing than playing footy with my boys she can out run them on the best of days!! And my god does my girl swim, she should of been born a fish!!! :lol: I want to keep one of the pups but my husband says no because we also have a rotti. I am sure I'll get my way eventually :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
honey is a old mother in comparision she is 5. Yes the birth was difficult she showed signs of whelping for nearly 10 days then she had 5 quite quick and then stopped for over 5 hours. She was tired then the vets insisted we took her in, we did she was scanned and given a jab then put in a kennel next to a old GSD that wouldn't shut up. The staff kept coming in and out etc and I feel it stressed her right out. She then gave birth to the black boy that died due to the hernia and then another girl. We took her home after that and I think that when she got home she just wanted to relax and sleep however the puppies were all over her and she snapped. She had been growling at them all day. SHe hasn't growled at them for nearly a week.

She is happy to have the muzzle on as soon as she is away from the pups I take it off. She doesn't try and remove it.

She lets them feed and she cleans them althougth the cleaning is a bit lapsa daisy and I find the pups covered in poo. I just offer her the pup and she cleans up what she has missed!!

I have been prepared to feed them from the day they wer born. I have everything needed hopefully tho I wont need it. The pups are doing extremely well one of the girls put 1lb on in a week!!! The black ones are jet black not one spot of white on them at all. One of the yellows started off quite white but she is now darkening down.

I will endeavour to post some piccies in the next few days

love cindy and honey and pups

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
awww poor honey how stressful for her well im pleased things have calmed down for her now :p its amazing how quickly the pups grow from one day to the next ..i take it this will be her last litter? as you say she is getting on a bit now :p ..lol..

brandy had to have a c-section as her womb was to low down or the canal something along them lines..lol.. so we didnt get all the messy parts of the birth i was worried about her scar though as the pups were always clawing her for milk but she coped extremly well i was so pleased and proud of her :p

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
O what a shame :( . It's a very stressful time for Honey and yourself pleased to hear Honey is still feeding the pups, " I helped a friend whose bitch was unwell and unable to feed her pups we had to feed the pups every 2hours " Hopefully Honey is on the mend now and the pups will continue to thrive.

Margaret

1 - 11 of 11 Posts