Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been on the forum for a couple of months now and I've found the information invaluable so I thought I would stop being a lurker and say hi to everyone.

We were going to get one black Labrador but when we arrived at the breeder's house, we ended up taking two dogs which adopted us whilst we were there. So we ended up with Rosie, a red Labrador and Skye; an inky black Labrador.

The breeder really set us up for success and gave us loads of tips. They have also kept in touch occasionally just to see how they are both doing.

These are our first dogs since having them as kids so it's been a real test of our resilience and patience in getting them started in the world. So far they've tested our patience to the max and destroyed most of the garden (which we expected). I've questioned a number of times if I'm going to get through this period in their life without throwing the towel in but we're pushing forward and trying to keep going with consistency and training.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that posts their tips on the forum as we've really appreciated all the help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've been on the forum for a couple of months now and I've found the information invaluable so I thought I would stop being a lurker and say hi to everyone.

We were going to get one black Labrador but when we arrived at the breeder's house, we ended up taking two dogs which adopted us whilst we were there. So we ended up with Rosie, a red Labrador and Skye; an inky black Labrador.

The breeder really set us up for success and gave us loads of tips. They have also kept in touch occasionally just to see how they are both doing.

These are our first dogs since having them as kids so it's been a real test of our resilience and patience in getting them started in the world. So far they've tested our patience to the max and destroyed most of the garden (which we expected). I've questioned a number of times if I'm going to get through this period in their life without throwing the towel in but we're pushing forward and trying to keep going with consistency and training.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that posts their tips on the forum as we've really appreciated all the help.
Hi and welcome,
I can totally understand what you are saying. Stanley is almost 10 months and to say it’s been a shock to the system is an understatement! I love him dearly but I’ve had moments of self doubt as to whether I’m up to the job. The training really does need to be consistent and my hubby doesn’t always get it right, let alone Stanley! I keep telling myself he is still learning as are we and hopefully we will settle in a routine.
We’ve recently started some more training to work on lead walking.We have 3 weeks of homework and it is repetition and consistency with no off lead time which we are finding a little hard as he loves a run around Nostell Priory on a morning.
I take my hat off to you having 2 pups!
The support on here has really helped me. The experience of dog lovers on here is excellent!
All the best
Lisa

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi, you were brave getting two lab pups 😄 We have 2 older yorkies and a lab girl, 10 months. Life has been interesting to say the least since we got Jas - probably the biggest challenge was the puppy biting, sometimes more politely referred to as mouthing........I wonder if you have 2 pups together do they play bite each other rather than pick on their owners?
Anyway , thankfully Jas has finally stopped treating my arms as chews , now we're working on minding her manners around visitors. Like you we've got so much useful information and advice from this site and it's great reading about the antics of all these lovely labs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome,
I can totally understand what you are saying. Stanley is almost 10 months and to say it’s been a shock to the system is an understatement! I love him dearly but I’ve had moments of self doubt as to whether I’m up to the job. The training really does need to be consistent and my hubby doesn’t always get it right, let alone Stanley! I keep telling myself he is still learning as are we and hopefully we will settle in a routine.
We’ve recently started some more training to work on lead walking.We have 3 weeks of homework and it is repetition and consistency with no off lead time which we are finding a little hard as he loves a run around Nostell Priory on a morning.
I take my hat off to you having 2 pups!
The support on here has really helped me. The experience of dog lovers on here is excellent!
All the best
Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I'm with you there. I keep telling myself that it will all be worthwhile and we'll have two beautiful, well-trained dogs in no time at all. The reality is we'll have two dogs with their own personality and quirks and we'll love them just as much, if not more.

Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, you were brave getting two lab pups 😄 We have 2 older yorkies and a lab girl, 10 months. Life has been interesting to say the least since we got Jas - probably the biggest challenge was the puppy biting, sometimes more politely referred to as mouthing........I wonder if you have 2 pups together do they play bite each other rather than pick on their owners?
Anyway , thankfully Jas has finally stopped treating my arms as chews , now we're working on minding her manners around visitors. Like you we've got so much useful information and advice from this site and it's great reading about the antics of all these lovely labs.
Hi,
Yes, I've been questioning our motives for getting two puppies over the last few days. At the moment it feels like stupidity rather than bravery 😂 That being said they do keep each other company and they play with each other, including the mouthing. They occasional do try to nip but we pull our hand back even if they don't hurt and say a quick "ouch" which make them stop (another tip I read on the forum) and it's seems to work. They tend to lick rather than nip.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, lots of good information on here.

Hmmm, the breeder set you up for success, please don't take this the wrong way, but they've done pretty much the opposite. I've currently got three Labradors (sadly lost my old girl last year aged 14 1/2 but still have her half sister who is 15 and going strong) and personally, I'd not have two pups from the same litter. Ok so I'm not hugely experienced but I know that litter mates can have their own problems, sibling rivalry being one, but they will also need a lot of time spent separately to ensure their training does sink in.

The other problem is, and I say this coming from the perspective of a breeder, we can test for a lot of conditions, but if there's something that pups could be affected by, then you're doubling the chances of this by allowing two pups to go to the same home. It might even be something we can't test for, such as epilepsy, but that's one reason most good breeders won't allow two pups to go to the same home.

I do wish you the best with your two pups, and I hope the breeder has done a lot of research and all the health testing to try to ensure you've got the best possible chance of them both being healthy and happy individuals. Lots of hard work ahead for you training them separately to ensure they bond to you, and not just each other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts