Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just posted in the puppy thread as we are thinking about a new lab puppy having owned 2 labs over the last 25 years. We’ve had a yellow girl called Candy and a choccie girl called Tia. Sadly we lost Tia to cancer aged 13 years in February of this year. I had to make the toughest decision for her but she passed peacefully away with myself and my daughter stroking her head and talking to her and I’m sure it was the right decision for her as the impact on her quality of life of the cancer was just too great. I’ve loved owning labs over the years but am really not sure if I’m put together right to deal with another puppy! I do so wish I could be philosophical about it and intellectually I know “this too shall pass” but as I suffer with anxiety I’m just not that kind of person. Oh well, hopefully I can talk myself through it and bite the bullet as they are so worth the time and effort as a breed. I’ve laughed to the point of tears at things my girls have done and cried buckets over them but they do make life richer 😀

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
Welcome!

I really cant imagine life without a Labrador. The new one never replaces the old one, but finds a special place in your heart all of it's own.

Yes a puppy is damn hard work, but thats only for a limited time, and what you end up with is well worth the work.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I must be mad, I've got a very very giddy two year old, and am adding a niece later this year (fingers crossed). I still have mum and Grandma (Tau who is 15 in August) as well as two other dogs. I lost my rock last year, Indie, she was 14 1/2 and age just caught up with her, I still miss her so very much, but each dog holds a special place for me, and having her great niece, and hopefully her great, great niece later this year, despite the hard work, will help keep her in my heart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must be mad, I've got a very very giddy two year old, and am adding a niece later this year (fingers crossed). I still have mum and Grandma (Tau who is 15 in August) as well as two other dogs. I lost my rock last year, Indie, she was 14 1/2 and age just caught up with her, I still miss her so very much, but each dog holds a special place for me, and having her great niece, and hopefully her great, great niece later this year, despite the hard work, will help keep her in my heart.
It’s so hard isn’t it when we have to let go. Little things trigger moments of sadness and loss over Tia’s loss but I don’t regret making the decision as she was in such distress. I don’t see a new lab being her replacement but more as a new start for us and our four legged family member whoever she may be but I will keep to the breed that has given us two lovely girls who’ve shared our lives, loves and losses.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
I’m a multi Labrador household and have 4 ranging from 14 to 2. I have my name down for another sometime next year (I hope) but then my very good friend and mentor announced to the world that my next pup was going to be a curly 🤣🤣

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
227 Posts

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
The Curlycoated retriever. One of the earliest of the retriever sub group of gundogs along with the Flatcoated retriever and the Wavycoated retriever (No longer in existence.) They predate the Labrador by many years. It has quite a strange head, very little in the way of a stop and quite fleshy cheeks, giving the head an almost cone shaped appearance with the small end of the cone being the tip of the nose and the large end the skull. (If you can understand my description. They are quite a large dog, appearing rather heavier than the Flatcoat, but I think that appearance is more due to the curly coat standing out from the body.

They were the least successful of the retrievers in the field so fell out of fashion with the shooting fraternity, and are really only kept by the show people, meaning it's very rare that you actually see one outside the showground. I used to know a person who used to breed and show them. Not seen her for years, but she was quite a bit older than me so it's likely she is no longer around.

Got to say they are nor a breed which appeals personally to me, but then, It would not do if we all liked the same thing. I love my Labradors!

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
The lagotto is group 8, like labs and curlies but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the ring. There are very very few curlies out there too. Having said that, my friend has just organised the rescue of two from a breeder in Italy, sad to say they weren’t being treated well (being past their prime and no longer useful for breeding or showing). The female is now living in my village, the male has gone to a home in Scotland.

Curlies do have a very different appearance, the head as you describe (note to self, never take a show bred Labrador in the ring under a judge that breeds curlies 🤣🤣). They are taller for sure but athletic and less muscular than a lab. Temperament wise, they are very different to the average lab, far more sensitive and thoughtful. They have a single coat, some lines have issues with coat coverage, particularly around the hind legs, the livers more so than the blacks. When they moult, they are literally down to the skin as they don’t have a double coat. Most folk I know regularly trim their curlies to keep the coat neat.

It looks like my possible curly puppy is off the cards. A lab puppy isn’t though 🤞😁 Watch this space 🤣🤣👍

Reactions: rjalex
1 - 8 of 8 Posts