Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm a brand new member, never been here before.
I have a gorgeous 3yr old fox red called Daisy who I recently mated. I was super excited about having puppies, did my homework on costs and equipment, felt ready... found a lovely handsome boy and took her over to meet him.
I took pictures of his KC reg certificate and 5 gen pedigree. Unfortunately as I was chatting to his Mum I didn't scrutinise his certificate. It turns out his progeny can not be registered! I knew he had the SD2 gene but they said as long as I had Daisy tested and she was clear, all would be well. Never was an endorsement mentioned. Now I'm left feeling rather deflated, a bit angry, a bit foolish and hoping she isn't pregnant.
The last thing I wanted to do was bring about a litter that weren't a good enough standard to be registered.
So.....that's my story so far!

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Hi Daisy's Mum, my advice would be to phone your vet and have a chat about Alizin, it can be used up to day 42 of pregnancy to terminate any potential litter. It may sound a bit extreme, but there are thousands upon thousands of unregistered dogs born all the time, rescues are full of them, and as you aren't really keen on having unregistered pups, this is probably the best outcome. The only problem with Alizin is it may throw her seasons out of whack, but that's the least problem. Then you can do your research and find a stud dog who is registered and take it from there x

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
So sorry to hear your troubles. That was very naughty of the dog owner. Personally I would get your vet to give her an injection to abort, depending of course on how long ago the mating took place. I would also demand the stud fee back.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your advice. Not sure I can demand the fee back since I should have had the sense to check and not just rely on them to be wholly up front! Once bitten twice shy though. I'll make sure I'm more thorough next time. Mating was only a couple of weeks ago so I'll talk to the vet. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
If at all, you mentioned KC registration during the conversations with the stud dog owner, and they didn't tell you that this wouldn't be possible, then they should give you the fee back. I don't know why on earth they are allowing him to be used to be honest, if they know that pups can't be registered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We discussed names so yes, registration was mentioned. I think they are allowing him to be used because they are keen to have one of his puppies for themselves. They also own his brother and have him up for stud too. 😏

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
In which case they should have told you straight away that the pups wouldn't be able to be registered, before any mating took place.

Let us know how you get on at the vets with the Alizin. It's the same drug they use to treat pyometra, so is as safe as possible.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Is it possible that the endorsement has been lifted by the sire's breeder and you have a copy of his old registration doc?

Just seems a little odd to me. Perhaps check with the stud dog's breeder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have e-mailed someone at KC to ask for some clarification but I don't know if it's the right person to speak to. If it isn't they will hopefully forward the e-mail to the correct person. I had wondered if his breeder put the restriction on due to his SD2 status and whether I could get it lifted... so, I'll await a response!

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
Endorsements are normally placed by the breeder of the dog, often with conditions which the owner has to fulfil before the breeder will lift the endorsement. These can be various health tests which the owner must have done, or even that there is a health problem which the breeder knows of. (one such health problem is demodectic mange, which can be passed on to the pups and can be triggered by pregnancy.) But whether or not, only the person who placed the endorsement can lift it. The dog owner should not have allowed his/her dog to be used at stud without getting the endorsement lifted by the breeder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great news! I e-mailed the breeder and she told me the restriction should have been lifted already but she'll check with the KC tomorrow.....phew! You live and learn 🙄

1 - 11 of 11 Posts