Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I should introduce myself. I'm hoping to be proud owner of black lab by the summer, fingers crossed. Already a 'half-owner' as Homer, my parents' black lab is still 'almost' mine, even though I moved out four years ago! Long walks every weekend and supply of treats guarantee that I'm still a favourite. :D My boyfriend and I are in touch with some vet-endorsed lab experts to try and track down a pup. However, I wanted some advice about getting a dog or bitch. I'm not bothered, as I have experience of both and luckily all of ours have had smashing temperaments. We won't be breeding with our dog, so I wondered what the rest of you would opt for? As long as it has four paws, a wet nose and waggy tail I'll be happy!

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! I guess it is what ever you prefer, I happened to choose a male as every dog we ever had was female so we fancied a change. I think there are slight differences between them, but both are just as loving and loyal! :D

Cristina

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that's what I thought. Someone asked me which I wanted and when I said I didn't mind I felt as if I'd committed a labrador sin!

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Really, it is such a personal thing that only you can decide. I always had dogs up until the time I had my first bitch, Now I would always have bitches.

As an interesting little aside, in my pet dog club, far more women arrive with dogs and far and away the bulk of men turn up with bitches!

Regards, John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dog or Bitch

Interesting that John has noticed the ladies own dogs and the men own bitches. We have 2 dogs, mummy's boys and 2 bitches who are very much daddy's girls. Mind you they all love mummy at food time!!!!! :lol:

Debbie :)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi homerk welcome to the forums :)

i have 2 bitches and always have had bitches till we got charlie (cavalier king charles) charlie was a rescue dog so basically it was save him or he dies we took him on now i love him to bits hes my lil lap dog as the 2 labs are slighty big for my knee..lol..

anyway i have found the males are noisy lil horrors...lol..he barks at everything strutting his stuff in the garden and yes he has been done..lol..his patience is very short with the children and he is aggresive to ppl coming into our garden (but this is down to his past we understand this and explain to other ppl)..

the bitches however i find not as barky.. with the kids wow they have more patience than me..lol..the only problem is if they dont get done you have there seasons to contend with..lol..

but then you know as you have had both...lol..
my preference would be bitches each time this is my personal choice as i know each dog is very different and im just going on my experience with my dogs :):)

good luck when you get your new dog/pup :):)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts