Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8O :? 8O
Hi my name is Alison and we brought home our adorable black lab Millie on the 17th July.. Currently we are having 'fun' on the lead around our small village south of Nottingham. Millie is trying very hard to persuade us to go her way but we are laying down the law and despite the embarrassment seem to drag her along the pavements! At 13 weeks she is really enjoying seeking, finding and bringing back to me various objects in the garden but still insists on peeing on the carpet by my front door :( Should I try puppy pads? Don't really want to as she only has occasional accident and is v good in kitchen/dining room/office ( no accidents here for week or so).

This site has so much useful information on it which I use but I am new to using forums myself. Love reading all your messages though and the gorgeous photos. My OH is a professional photographer so hope we can (he ) can post you some good ones to look at

Alison :D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Hello and welcome :D

re wee-ing by the front door - what are you clenaing the carpet with? Try using a diluted solution of bio washing powder as it gets rid of the scent. Other cleans may cover the smell to us, but not to pups.

Can't wait for the photos

·
Registered
426 Posts
As Sam says - its important now to get rid of the smell (for her nose) by the front door, since she probably thinks she is going back to the right place everytime...

We actually did use pads - mainly because by the time the Bug came to us, the breeder had started to use pads very successfully...

We had the pad by the back door for a while, and then put it outside the back door and of course he would look for it, and go straight to it when we let him out...

oooooh professional pics! - looking forward to them

gx

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hello!

As said above, worth trying to clean and remove the smell by the front door.

Personally, I would definitely NOT use pads as all they do is help to enforce that toileting inside is acceptable.

Just keep up the great work by keep taking her out to toilet and all of a sudden she will get it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toileting

Thanks for your replies and comments and welcomes. I have been using bio washing liquid to remove the smell as I read about it on this forum!Thanks for that. I can agree with the for and against pads comments. It will feel like a step backwards in some ways because she has left the lounge successfully to go out the back door to toilet so she does know. Part of me thinks that she is taking the easy option and I am aware that she is still a baby and can't always know when she wants to go.
With regards to photography I am hoping my OH will read these and it will inspire him to take more photos. Trouble is when you do it for a living you don't always walk around with a camera in your hand. In fact when we go away it is often only my camera we use because it is small and lightweight and we don't look like paparazzi as we do with his! Millie is growing daily though and I don't want to let it slip by. The photos on this site are all gorgeous and I keep pulling him over to look at them. :)

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi and welcome to LF, it sounds as though Millie may be a little confused as to which door she goes out of for a wee, when you catch her doing it by the front scoop her up and take to the back garden (they usually stop peeing when disturbed but you may get a small trail).

Some dogs do take longer than others to "get it" but they all do eventually, my Westie took a year to housetrain, I thought she`d never grasp the concept, CJ otoh took less than a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts