Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Jeffrey[delfleet jaffa]
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
i am new to forums, but have a beautiful lab Jeffrey ( Delfleet Jaffa) he is 3 and we have had him for 1.5 years. He was a drugs dog for the prison service but stopped working, we believe he has had trauma. He is now so contented and loving, no bad bone in his body but can be shy. Loves swimming, walks, toys and plenty of interaction. He is not a typical lab when it comes to food and eating. He is choosy, eats tentatively, we like to think it is because he has manners 馃榿
would love a companion as he loves other dogs

Premium Member
Hi
i am new to forums, but have a beautiful lab Jeffrey ( Delfleet Jaffa) he is 3 and we have had him for 1.5 years. He was a drugs dog for the prison service but stopped working, we believe he has had trauma. He is now so contented and loving, no bad bone in his body but can be shy. Loves swimming, walks, toys and plenty of interaction. He is not a typical lab when it comes to food and eating. He is choosy, eats tentatively, we like to think it is because he has manners 馃榿
would love a companion as he loves other dogs
Hi and welcome to the forum, JohnW will be along I'm sure at some point and will be able to tell you about Delfleet, all I know is they are working/FT bred, but John is a mine of information about these sort of things.

I woul dhave a look in rescue, at the minute there are so many breeders taking advantage of lock down prices, there are going to be quite a few dogs needing a new home once everyone goes back to work.

Registered
Hi and welcome.

Registered
Jeffrey[delfleet jaffa]
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I am definitely thinking about a rescue lab. Breaks my heart to think they would euthanise any of them. If we could sort poor Jeffrey with his trauma we can fin拢 a way to help a rescue dog

Registered
Jeffrey[delfleet jaffa]
Discussion Starter #6
Why is Jeffrey so nonplussed about his food? Really not a typical lab. We spice it up by adding chicken jelly from the roast and he loves that, sometime cut up a smakko in it but royal canine on its own just doesn鈥檛 attract his attention. Think is going to cook chicken for him.

Administrator
Why is Jeffrey so nonplussed about his food?
He is working bred, and really it's not that unusual for a working Labrador. He is related to my old Amy through Craighorn Bracken and his sire Aughacasla Sam of Drakeshead, and she also never fixated on food. I also knew Jeffrey's Great Great Great Grandmother, Endacott Spindle. who again was not a greedy dog. Certainly not all Labradors live for food and interestingly about a couple of years ago the geneticists actually identified the "Greedy gene." which is present in those who are.

Registered
Jeffrey[delfleet jaffa]
Discussion Starter #9
Well he worked in a prison searching for drugs, he did fabulously, then decided not to work. He wouldn鈥檛 get out of the van. They tried another dog handler and a different prison, but he still refused to work. Hence the prison service wanted rid of him. The breeder didn鈥檛 want him back, so luckily we purchased him. The only problem was that he was so scared of EVERYTHING! He would bark and hop when anyone came near him. He would shiver at the site of walking sticks. He runs away from people he doesn鈥檛 know. He can run to the other side of a field. If the beach is busy he will freeze, shake all over and try to hide under benches or whatever he can hide under. He would pull on the lead, shoot off if scared. I must say he is nothing like it now. He is loved so much and he knows it, he has settled and is no where near as scared, thank goodness. He is by no means 鈥榗ured鈥 and I truly believe he has suffered some kind of trauma. To be honest he really was never cut out to be a prison dog. He is so soft 馃槉

Registered
Jeffrey[delfleet jaffa]
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to know more about him. What was used to train him, he is dotty about balls. He is s9 obedient and very very clever. The perfect dog

Administrator
He has some quite sensitive dogs behind him which heavy handling would turn them off. I personally know some of the dogs, I also know some of the breeders of those dogs so know what they like and what they breed for. I'd say your dog was a square peg in a round hole. I'll go further tomorrow. :)

Administrator
Hello again, I don鈥檛 know if you have the pedigree of your dog, but in the event that you do not, I can PM you a copy.

Delfleet is the affix of Steve Crisp. He tends to buy good quality working dogs in, then breed in house, so a lot of dogs in the pedigree share the same affix, but are not necessarily related. But in the case of Jeffery he has actually line bred on the third generation. This is something which many breeders do in an effort to fix traits or appearances.

Actually, this pedigree is so interesting to study As I said, Jeffery is line bred on the third generation to David Latham鈥檚 Field Trials Champion Mediteriam Blue. I remember seeing Blue handled by a friend of mine in the Field Trials class at Crufts! But then, Jeffery鈥檚 grand mother on the dog side is Smale Calypso who was line bred again on her third genetation to an Irish dog owned by John and Sandra Halstead, FT Ch Aughacasia Sam of Drakeshead. But thats not the end of the line breeding because Jeffery鈥檚 mother is line bred on her fourth generation to Bill Forbes FT Ch Dargdaffin Dynamo.

From all this you might think he rather closely bred, but in actual fact all this line breeding actually brings together three totally unrelated lines which actually equates to a coefficient of inbreeding of 9.95% over 10 generations, (which is my normal calculation point) pretty much the breed average. (The KC sets the breed average at a little lower, but for various reasons my figures are more accurate!!)

But looking at this pedigree, what would I be thinking about possible character of Jeffery? Look at Blue. Blue鈥檚 sire was Andy Latham鈥檚 FT Ch Endacott Shelf. (Andy Latham by the way is the brother of David Latham, the owner of Blue!) Shelf was bred by a friend of mine, Anne Courtier, out of her Endacott Spindle. Anne鈥檚 dogs were always a little on the sensitive side. Anne once said to me, 鈥淚 don鈥檛 want dogs I have to fight every inch of the way to get then to work.鈥 And believe me, in the right hands her dogs were top class workers. On one occasion there were three dogs bred by her all competing in the International Gundog League Retriever Championship (The top field trial in the world,) the same year. Anne working Endacott Spindle, Spindle鈥檚 brother FT Ch Endacott Stoer of Quabrook and Spindle鈥檚 son FT Ch Endacott Shelf. But not everybody gels with the more sensitive dogs. A friend of mine brought an Endacott dog, and being use to the harder charging type never got on at all with him, He passed him on to his wife, who being a quieter type of handler got on really well with him. So remembering that Anne鈥檚 Endacott dogs are on both sides of the pedigree, coming together at Jeffery, I don鈥檛 really think it would be surprising if he bred true to Anne鈥檚 type. It鈥檚 all about horses for courses.

Incidentally my Amy was related to to your dog down the Sam/ Craighorn Bracken line. Sadly she died in February this year at just short of 15 years old. This was her (below) on her 14th birthday.

Registered
Jeffrey[delfleet jaffa]
Discussion Starter #13
Oh bless her, 15 yrs old my goodness she was an old dame. Thanks for the info, yes we have the pedigree but to be honest it is nice to have but never realised all the important links until you told me. It is really lovely to hear about Jeffreys relatives. He is sensitive which makes him very special But definitely NOT cut out to work in such a violent environment as a prison, a young offenders prison which has the worst kind of violence. I understand why they need the dogs, but not my Jeffrey xxx 馃え

Registered
Jeffrey[delfleet jaffa]
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, my square peg has found his square hole. Would you believe me if I said he actually threw his ball back to a 2 year old today, to throw back to him. something he would have freaked out about last year and ended up a mile away. He has grown so confident, I am amazed at the progress he has made. Of course ask him to sniff out drugs and I doubt he could do it any more but find his ball in a field of wheat and he is your dog to find it. He is so funny running back and forth until he finds it. He gets most upset when I stupidly misdirect my throwing skills and the ball ends up in a hedge. He attempts to find it at no cost, but I end up with thorn scratches after retrieving it for him 馃槉

1 - 16 of 16 Posts