Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I found you site by chance the other week and now thought I would come a introduce ourselves. My Name is Louise, I am married to Kieran and have two children and now to complete our family we are getting a gorgous Black lab retriever. She is 4 weeks old (born 15/8/09) and we are getting her in two weeks. Any advice gratefuly recieved, we have never owned a dog we have two cats (15 years old) and think we have not got everything ready for her arrival I have read lots of books and got advice of friends, but found you site very helpful for other stuff.

The one thing I am very unsure of is how much to feed her she is a greedy little girl at the mo (my friend is the breeder so have spent a lot of time with her) and is on 5 meals a day and not sure how many or how much to give her when we get her

I will try and put a picture on here if i can figure it out.

Louise

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Hi Louise and welcome to LF :hello2: :hello2:

Bella is gorgeous but I have to say I would ask the breeder to keep her until she is 7 or 8 weeks if you can, they really learn so much at 6-8 weeks from their littermates that makes such a difference :D I do speak from experience, I got Jana home last year at 5 weeks and 6 days and I will never again bring a puppy home that young :?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi Louise, as Linda says the pup really shouldn`t leave its mum and siblings til she`s at least 7 weeks and 8 weeks is preferable, she will learn some bite inhibition from her siblings during this time and other things too.

Have you decided if your going to crate her?, if so you want to get one in place ready for Bella coming home, a 42" will see her right through to adulthood and beyond and can be divided while she`s tiny to deter her from peeing/pooing in the empty half.

Have you checked that both Bella`s parents have had health checks done?, hip and elbow scores and eye tests are the most important but there are others that a lot of breeders are doing now as well.

Have a look here it will tell you all you need to know about health tests and why they should be done :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, yes the parents have been health checked and yes we have a crate in place for training. The only thing is we have to take her at 6 weeks the breeder is a friend and she is pregnant and the puppies are making her very ill (unplanned baby) so she wants them to go.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Hi Louise

Sorry to hear your friend is not having a good pregnancy :( Would it be possible to go and help her out ( a few people I mean not just you) to ensure the pups get to 7-8 weeks :?

I hope and wish you best of luck with Bella and I hope you join up and let us know Bella is going as she grows up :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts