Labradors Forums banner

Hello from the three of us

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Lyndaloo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I’ve been a member & a lurker for over 10 years now when our choc boy Fergal arrived. He is a chunky boy on the the smaller side. He is a very trusting, people loving, submissive, soppy lap dog!

In July our black boy Rodney joined our family. He is very different in stature to Fergal, from working lines. At 7 months old he is already taller than Fergal & to us he seems very ‘leggy’ & skinny in comparison. He is my shadow & is always sat with me or on me. He is more dominant than Fergal & I haven’t seen him submit yet. He is very food driven & not so trusting of people not in our family bubble.

Just wanted to say hello as I’ve been very active lately reading lots of posts 😊

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Collar

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Plant

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello and welcome. There can be a big difference in personalities between working and show types, from what you describe he doesn't sound 'dominant' but sounds more reliant upon you, and obviously likes his food which he guards. The term dominance is used a lot and it stems from the pack theory, an old and outdated theory based on flawed science. The person that came up with the pack theory basically put together a bunch of wolves, not even of the same species, studied them, and made up the theory. However, dogs are very different in how they act in our homes, they have more fluid status, so whilst one may not tolerate strange dogs, they might let the others walk all over them for treats. And whilst some may just value food over anything else, others value closeness with us more, and so on. So when treats are around one might look more 'dominant' but when they are out and about, or without their owner, their status is changed if that makes sense? Anyway, welcome to the group, lovely dogs and lots of info on here xx

#5 ·
Thank you, I agree. Maybe dominant is the wrong word, he is just more dominant compared to Fergal, which doesn’t take much! I honestly don’t think I’ve met another dog that isn’t more dominant than my Fergal, he rolls on his back and submits to everything. I am yet to see Rodney submit to him or another dog.

Out & about Rodney will often shadow Fergal or I when he is unsure about something. Fergal is very confident as he thinks everyone loves him. So your summary is pretty much spot on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.