Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My name is Gill and my black lab puppy is due to be born on 22nd May and we will bring him home on 30th July - can't wait.

I hope this site is useful in tips as we haven't owned a dog before. My main concern at the moment is how my 5 year old cat will adapt!!

Gill

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Gill,

Welcome to the forum :D

I' m sure you'll enjoy it and find it very useful before bringing your new bundle of fun home - I did!

Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi gill....

Welcome to Lab forum.... I can imagine your exictement :D ...You'll get tonnes of advise here... and there are many members who have cats and doggies living in Harmony :wink:

Good Luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Gill

We too have been waiting quite a while for our pup Lucca, waiting for the litter to be whelped and then the long weeks afterwards until we can collect him - so whilst being really exciting I must admit to being very impatient at the same time :( But the day is nearly here at last, we pick our pup up tomorrow morning :D and also have the task of introducing him to our two cats aged 5 and 3 - not sure how it will go yet - claude the youngest is not the cleverist of animals (but exceptionally loving) and will probably not even notice, where as the eldest Jessie is a different kettle of fish and can wants everything on her terms (typical women eh) so I can see that I may have a little fun with her!!!! Anyway I will let you know how it goes - the forum is great by the way, everyone is so friendly and you will be given many useful tips and advice - and I know i'm going to need as many as I can get! Keep us updated on the progress of your litter
Sarah

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Gill

Welcome to the forums, I'm sure you will get plenty help & advice.

Only a few more days until the birth Barney how exciting!!

Margaret

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi gill
a big welcome to the mad world of labs :lol: hopefully you will find all the advice you need on here and friends to share your adventures with :D

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi gill

to the labforums you will definatly get all the help advice and tips and supprt you need from here we are all a freindly bunch willing to help any way we can
i have 3 dogs and 3 cats they all get on great now..lol. i will say to you make sure you have space were you cat can go and the new puppy cant that way at least the cat will have peace away from the new puppy..
i hope the time passes quickly for you..lol..in the meantime browse the site look at the piccies and you may pick up some good tips before your puppy comes home :p :p

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Hi Gill

Welcome to the forums there is plenty of advice on here to help you with you soon to be new bundle of mischief... :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I've had Mario now for 2.5 weeks and also have a cat, Magic, who is almost 6. At first Mario kept his distance and the cat hissed at him whenever he came near. This has progressed to touching noses then running away. The cat is not frightened, more annoyed at the moment. Our cat has become even more affectionate and wants lots of cuddles which we've made sure he gets too! Mario sees the cat now as a play thing and pounces on him. Like someone else said, make sure your cat has a place to hide and I was always told to feed the cat first which has worked wonderfully too. The only problem I've had is that we used to leave the cats food down all the time and he just came in and out when he wanted. We can't do that now as Mario will eat it within seconds. This took some adjusting to but to be honest, 2 weeks in, and we're all living in relative harmony... :D

Good luck with the new arrival - the waiting drags like mad and then all of a sudden, hey presto you're a mum again!

Lucy, Mario AND Magic! x

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You will certainly find lots of helpful advice on hand here and everyone is also here to help.

Corbie is our first dog and I know what you mean about long waits - I had 7 weeks before pups were born and then another 7 so 3.5 months in total...but the day does arrive and things are never the same again :lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Gill

I know how you feel - our pup was born exactly a week ago - just another 8/9 to go! :D

We've got a spoilt cat too - but she is quite used to my parent's dogs coming round. In our old house she used to torment their lovely-to-people, nasty-to-cats staffie by hitting it's nose through the fence and letterbox! Just before we moved our neighbours found them curled up on the bed together - she was a very lucky cat!

So we hope the pup and her being the same size initially will help things settle!

Jodie

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank-you all for your messages. Its lovely to feel so welcome.

As soon as I have any news or pictures of Barney, I shall let you know.

Thank-you for your advice about Charlie (my soon to be very jealous 5 year old cat). I'll let you know how we manage - as much as I'm looking forward to getting Barney, I am not looking forward to Charlie's reaction!!

I shall ask all my other questions in the relevant places.

Thanks again

Gill

:D

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello gill

Welcome to lurkers paradise, you will get plenty of advice and help here

Can understand what u must me going through at the moment. I have 3 pure bred labs and a cross bred dog , but they are all bitches, which I prefer, easier to train...... :)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Gill

Welcome to Lab Forums! You will no doubt be counting the days until your pup arrives home and I'm sure you will get lots of useful tips and friendly advice here to help you prepare for that wonderful day.

All the best,
Nic
X

1 - 15 of 15 Posts