Labradors Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean about HD ED screening. I think you’ll find screening has been in place for many many years in the UK and EU.

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
We started hip screening in the early 1970's, (I remember talking about it at dog club in 1972 when I brought my first Labrador) though in those days it was different to the scoring system we use today in that there were only 3 possible results, Pass, Fail, and a Breeders Letter. I think the present system started around 1975. Elbow scoring arrived a little later, around 1980 if I remember correctly. I remember the blaze of publicity when it was rolled out at Crufts. I don't think there was much difference in starting dates between the UK and the US, and think the rest of the world followed along after us. The actual method of screening in the US and UK is pretty much identical, although documentation is different. We give an actual score where America uses a grading system, where up to so much is an "A", from that to a bit more is a "B" and so on. The biggest difference is that we can score from a year old, where America does not allow scoring until two years old. (The rights and wrongs of this difference is a story we don't need to bother about here, although I will comment on it if anybody is interested.)

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
Eye testing is much older than hips and elbows. Eye testing first started for Irish Setters in the 1940's when night blindness, a form of Progressive Retinal Atrophy was a problem. The test in those far off days consisted of calling the dogs down a dark corridor at the Kennel Club, and if they found their way without running into the wall they passed! But the BVA got involved and the test started to get better, nearer to the test we have today. Next to get involved was the ISDS, (The International Sheepdog Society) to screen the dogs for Collie Eye Anomaly. Later still other breeds were brought into the fold. I personally have been involved in organising eye testing for close to 30 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I’m not sure what you mean about HD ED screening. I think you’ll find screening has been in place for many many years in the UK and EU.
I meant that If I buy a puppy from abroad (UK,FR,UKR, SP) let's say 4-6 months I don't have any HD or ED test from that specific puppy, even though both parents have A and 0. I still see a minimal risk :oops:.

I talked to a breeder in Ukraine this past week, and I could have the puppy, but I'd take 4 months to be here :eek: by that time the puppy will be 6 months or more now that airports and borders are closed due to COVID-19.

P.S: DNA test for my yellow bitch is in stand-by I can't ship anything out of my country at the moment. (without her results I don't want to breed her).

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
There is absolutely little or no point in testing for HD or ED until growth plates are closed and the dog is mature! Bone isn’t fully developed at those ages so it’d be nigh on impossible to tell if a dog was affected. There are plenty of scholarly articles online detailing the facts. 4 to 6 months you are wasting your time, and possibly money.

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
There is absolutely little or no point in testing for HD or ED until growth plates are closed and the dog is mature!
I'm inclined to agree with you Nicola. Many people score as soon as possible, "Before the hips start to wear." But the facts are, if there is any discernible wear in the first couple of years then really, there must be a problem and the hips are not going to last the life of the dog! I've never scored before 14 to 16 months old, but really I think that's too early. We always believed that with elbows, these do not change. But a paper I read a few months ago told a different story, and some dogs tested 0 at a year old were 1 or even 2 by 3 years old. Elbows do change. In America these days many people "Pre Screen" at a year old, just to get an idea then screen officially at 2 years old.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I’ve not tested Freddie, mainly because I hadn’t ever intended him being used at stud but he has shown promise in the ring with two RCACS and his retrieving drive and ability is way more than I expected. He has a character second to none and I’ve been told it’d be a shame not to. I’d never allow him to be used for that alone. Sadly, any chances of testing, showing and working him are put on hold for the foreseeable future. The poor thing is stuck in kennels because I’ve not been able or allowed to collect him. 😭😭

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There is absolutely little or no point in testing for HD or ED until growth plates are closed and the dog is mature! Bone isn’t fully developed at those ages so it’d be nigh on impossible to tell if a dog was affected. There are plenty of scholarly articles online detailing the facts. 4 to 6 months you are wasting your time, and possibly money.
That's exactly what I wrote, there's a huge risk in buying a puppy from 11,000km that by the time it grows the dog has HD or ED.

I gave the example of a breeder from Ukr that gave me a price and the time i'd take for the puppy to be here. (at least 4 months)

I'd rather buy frozen semen from a stud, that I can check his pedigree and recent tests to breed with my bitch. (in this case I take full responsability of whatever happens to the litter).

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
That isn’t what you said at all. You implied that you wouldn’t buy a dog because it hadn’t been tested or you couldn’t test it at some ridiculously young age. You said there would still be a risk.

I’m bowing out of this conversation now simply because I can no longer understand what you’re trying to say. Good luck with your plans.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts