Labradors Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Lovely moorland you have. Thats the one thing missing around here. My grounds are mostly farm and woodland. I have two private woods and two farms including a disused railway which includes a cutting at one end and an embankment at the other, which I can use. Add to that several more public areas including a conservation area where not too many people go.
I'm spoiled as we have moorland, woodland and lovely rolling grasslands and even a few hedges, and a lot of dry stone walls. I love being up on the moors, but sadly a lot of folk take dogs up off lead where there's public access and let them hoolie about, and that means less space for wildlife, particularly ground nesting birds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thought this would make you all chuckle...

As I mentioned before, Freddie loves the heavy rubber balls that Wilkinsons sell. We started only ever buying the blue ones when the red, yellow and green ones blended in with the leaves too well and we lost too many. Blue stands out in the undergrowth whatever the season.

Recently, Freddie found a red one while we were out walking. Usually I leave found balls somewhere visible in case the owner comes back - we've found plenty of our own lost balls on subsequent walks. But he was quite keen on this one and we hadn't met any other dogs on the walk so we brought it home.

It's been sat in a drawer for a few months now. This week he lost a ball when out with someone else so I grabbed the red one to replace it. It was fairly new so I gave it to him to chew on while I got ready to go out, just to make sure it would smell and feel like his. And off we went to the woods.

We don't really do long throws and lots of running. Mostly I throw a ball into some bushes or long grass and he goes hunting for it. He also just loves carrying them around, and is usually reluctant to let me have it back, or he'll drop as if he's giving me it but then snatch it back at the last minute - cheeky boy!

Consistently for the whole walk he'd go and find the ball but he wouldn't bring it back. It was like he knew it wasn't his ball because his are blue! Took a lot of persuasion to get him to bring me it, and when he did, he handed it over straight away. None of the other dogs wanted it either!

When we got home the BT engineer arrived and Freddie put the red ball straight into his tool bag as if to say "please take this away - I don't want it!"

21 - 22 of 22 Posts