Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all ,
I live in New delhi,India. THis is my first posting. I bought a lil lab 2-3 weeks old. The first 2 nights she cried and cried and cried. I had a terrible time but I still stuck to her. The third night she was a little better. Its been a week now and she is getting better EXCEPT her pee and poopy . she pees 30 times a day(not kidding) and poops around 3 . Also she is biting everything , specially my legs :roll: ouch but still she is so cute. It is getting very tiring though and everytime she bites i pull her back and say a stern "NO". She doesnt seem to be getting the point? somethings i need help from u guys on

1) I know i have to buy some more toys but i already bought few and she doesnt give a damn to bite them, only bite everything we say no to.
2) her pee and poo doesnt stop , any good links on how to potty train her?
3) we dont want her to go into the kitchen. Its not a good habbit. How to train her not go into one specific room. The rest of the house is her to roam around.
4) at night i leave her in the guest room with the cooler on. (ya its new delhi its a hot city) , she doesnt seem to mind it. After all she has a big room all to her self. Is this a good idea?
5) I do take her out every 30 mins - 1 hr when i am in the house to pee (normally when she wakes up thats her first order of business)
6) After say 2 weeks is it ok to leave her with her toys n stuff for more than 2-3 hrs alone. After all we have to work and get on with our lives so "leaving her" alone bit will come sooner or later.

THx all I hope i did not bore u guys much. Hoping to get replies SOON :p

as for her pic ill put it up real soon i already have a pic of her in my system and i own some server space.

anando

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi welcome to the forums :)

the first part of your message really worrys me..you say you bought a lab 2-3weeks old???? or do you mean 2-3 weeks ago?

if its age wow that puppy really must be with her mum till she is at least 8 weeks of age seh needs her mums milk..i cant beleive someone would sell you a pup of that age

potty training takes time and again your puppy is very young

as for leaving it alone being so young im not so sure on that either if you havent got it potty trained are you prepared to come home to little accidents the puppy would almost certainly do ..also the dangers that are in the house if she is biting like you say could she chew and choke on something when you are not around..
i think you need to stay home with her for a while

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

As clairiscrazy said 2-3 weeks is far to young to leave its mum (if that is the pups age? :? ). A puppy should be at least 8 weeks old when it leaves its mother. A puppy crate will help with toilet training but you are going to have to be prepared for loads of trips to the garden (every hour or so) and that includes getting up in the night. Lots of time and patience is required. Also remember that puppies don't have full bladder control for quite a few months so don't expect a miracle as it won't happen over night. When you leave her make sure that she can't destoy any toys or bedding as they will eat anything, leaving her for 2-3 hrs is fine. I will find and post a link about crating you puppy for you. HTH

Cristina

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for such fast replies and i am happy to be a part of this forum. Yes she is 3 weeks old and the vet was quite angry about the idiot who sold me the dog at such tender age. After he sold he refused to take her back. The vet and I had thought of complaining and all but then just left it. So now i am trying to take whatever best i can take care of her. She is almost reaching 4 weeks now.

1) i dont mind the little accidents. She is an infant and cant expect anything extraordinary .
2) the room i leave her in is free of all such hazards. It has just 1 fridge one bed and one cooler. The fridge i switch off and put the wire away when she is in it. The bed she cannot bite of though its wooden but its quite hard atleast at this edge. She can bite curtains though ill have 2 do something about that.
3) will take her to the vet again soon and figure out all supplements that she needs . Till now i was told to feed her cerelac and lactogen as she didnt have proper teeth .

as for the pic i am tryin to upload it i hope it shows up. Its a bit hazy but i guess this will have 2 do for now. She is cute no? ..and ya its REALLY tough takin care of a 3 week old puppy she DOES need her mother but atleast after 7 days she seems to have settled down much better.

Ill check this topic again tomorrow morning for more ideas and suggestions from u ppl. I hope i can get all the help as i want to bring her up as best as possible. I sort of felt a cradle snatcher when i realised how young she was but to be honest , i had no idea.

thx
anando

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i dont mean to be rude but surley you should of known 2-3 weeks old is wayyy to young for the pup to leave a mother :( and also i would complain or at least let other ppl know what this person is doing that sold you your pup.

i do beleive you have the pups interest at heart and i bet you are feeding her every 4hrs or so i know what thats like as i had to hand feed one of my labs pups from day 3 of birth and boy it was tiring but worth it in the end:)

i wish you the best of luck with your new pup :wink: and hope all works out for you but please try and make sure ppl know of this person that sold you the pup it is so wrong

clair :)

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Well, all I can say is she is far better off with you! And you are doing all you can for her. Its such a shame she has no mum,brothers & sisters to learn from at this important stage in life, still I'm sure you will do all you can in this situation and I wish you and her the best of luck. :wink:

Cristina (& Benson)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i know , and when he refused to take her back i even got my friend to scold them. But i guess atleast she is better with me than a person who is ready to sell her at such an age. Its sure that he didnt care about her . K thx guys ill keep posting her pics and problems . Today ill have to go shopping and buy some toys and stuff for her. She keeps jumping on the bundle of clothes that she finds and bites it to hell. She even bit my mothers very expensive dress and made holes in it :roll: sighhh...cant help she is just a little baby and she is so cute u dont even feel like scolding her.

p.s :- another pic and no sorry to say i was lied about her age. I was told she is 4-5 weeks when i bought her. It was my father (who previously has kept dogs) and the vet who told me . THats when i asked the ass**** to take her back but he wouldnt.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Anando and welcome to the forums
Your puppy has left her mum far too early, I can understand your vet's and your own anger.
I haven't heard of lactogen or celerac, but I'm assuming they're milk substitutes, and as she's approaching 4 weeks, you'll need to start weaning her. In my opinion, a far bigger problem is that she has missed out on vital lessons she will have learnt from mum and her littermates. Please don't scold her she won't understand it, and it could easily make matters worse, as she has missed out on early lessons.

There is some info in this link http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAH/Prog-ShelterMed/orphaned_puppies.htm#5
but the best advice I can give you is to contact a reputable breeder in India and ask for their help and advice. Hope this link is a starting point.
http://dogsindia.com/index.htm
Sorry, I don't want to alarm you, but it is important how she is brought up as she is at risk of having behavioural problems due to being taken out of the litter too early.
HTH :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok 2 late i am scared :oops: i cant have her having any behaviour problems. Ya btw no, no1 in the house ever scolds her we are all aware that she is just an infant and it is beyond her scope to understand scolding. We do use that stern "no" system and it seems to be having a little effect. She hesitates going into the kitchen and that is what we want. THx a lot for the links and i definately am going to do a lot of research. Next week ill take her to the vet again and see watever i can do for her. Rest assured i am trying my best. Ur localised indian link is amazing. THX A LOT :D . As for trainers and breeders ill look into that as well. I just wish that idiot wouldnt have sold her to me at such an early age , i am regretting it a lot now.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi anando
Please don't panic. Unfortunately, things like this do happen naturally too, it is not uncommon to lose a dam during / after the birth, and singletons can happen too, so imagine she is an orphaned singleton pup. It is perfectly possible to raise her, and you seem to really care, so I'm sure she will do well, it's just that raising her will not be quite so straightforward as raising a pup who has left the dam at eight weeks, which is why I suggested getting in touch with a local breeder, explain her age and what has happened. A reputable breeder should be only too happy to help and advise you.
With regards to her behaviour and training, you really need to mimic the sort of behaviours her mum and littermates would use. For instance, her littermates and mum would ignore her if she gets to much and walk away. If she bites too hard they would yelp and walk away (game finished).
Good luck, keep us posted, and I would definately try to find a breeder locally who can help and advise you.
HTH :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow u guys are extremely helpful . Thx a lot. I do care for her and will try to do whatever I can. Plz keep in touch and see if u can find a helpful local breeder I can contact would be quite nice. THX a lot again , this is a one of the best communities I have ever seen. :)

p.s : i know her poop and pee habit will take some time but i feel her biting habbit is a bit out of hand . I found ur suggesting quite interesting. Anymore suggestions on how to contain her bitting spree. Right now i have bought her 2 rubber toys (which she never bites) one soft yellow cloth which she bites and pulls like hell and i let her. Whenever she bites my leg or some1 elses i pull her back with my hand gently and say a stern "NO". but she doesnt seem to be getting it much. Some help? thx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts