Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

We live in the Scottish Borders and have two 5 year old labs (plus a crazy English springer). The girl lab is on the high side of average but the boy lab is very tall.

He measures about 70cm (27.5”) to the shoulder. Is anybody aware of any others around that are this kind of height or is it really extreme?

Thanks in advance, BB

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
First off, speaking generally, the breed standard is important to pet people just as it is to a show dog, from the direction that appearance is probably the first thing that attracts a person to the breed. As to height, the UK has quite a close size listed in the breed standard. In the case of dogs, 56 to 57cm, (22 to 22.5 inches) but this is really a guide and there are dogs well outside those figures. Anything far outside this band would go against it in the ring. America tackles the problem in a different manner. Their standard lists the size as 22.5 to 24.5 inches and says that any variation greater than .5 of an inch is a disqualification.

Working Labradors are more variable because they tend to be selected for ability rather than looks. But even there many people would not want a dog too big because there are places where a big dog simply cannot get to. As an example, back in the days of my old Anna we had a double hedge where I pick up and a bird dropped into the hedge. Although I knew exactly where the bird was my Anna as simply too big to get to it. I had to ask another picker up with a cocker to try his dog on it!

I have to say, at 27.5 inches, your dog is seriously big! ;)

John :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts