Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon folks

My lovely 8 month old boy Stanley is destroying all the toys I buy for him.
I have tried Kong toys and the heavy rope ones. He pulled the rope one apart in 5 minutes! I have tried stuffed toys and unstuffed toys. He eats them all!
He loves to chew and enjoys a raw meaty bone every now and then. He would spend all day with it if I let him. He also loves his Buffalo horn and throws it around the room playing with it.
I wondered if you could offer any advice on what I could give him to play with or chew on. I think Jas鈥檚 mum mentioned a rolling pin, if you read this could you let me know more please? 馃憤馃徏
He loves a filled Kong too but I limit these as he is raw fed and it鈥檚 harder to judge the raw food to reduce his daily intake if you know what I mean.
I am grateful he hasn鈥檛 chewed or eaten anything in the house yet (quickly touches wood).
Thanks for any advice or tips you can suggest.
Lisa

Attachments

Administrator
Remember, dogs have no sense of money. A free toy is worth just as much as an expensive toy. My pups have all loved an old sweater, rolled up and tied in a big knot, ideal for shaking and killing, and when that game has ended bring it to me to hold for a tug of war. If I do spend money then a child's football might not last long before getting pierced by a tooth, but it's still fun, even when burst! This was my very first dog back in the mid 1950's.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, he does enjoy playing with one of my tshirts. I鈥檒l try the jumper tied in a knot too. They just eat everything don鈥檛 they? 馃榾馃榾

Registered
For chewers I bought the bigger Nylabones. They seemed to keep them quiet for a while.
I count myself extremely lucky with Ash as he's not a chewer at all. In fact he's the first dog I've had, out of many, that loves his soft toys and is never happier than when he's carrying one around.

Premium Member
They do grow out of it, but until then, just use really cheap or free 'things' that are disposable once they get too bad. I've actually got the other problem now, the toy box is overflowing, although there are a few high value toys that have to be put out of reach as they'd be destroyed within a very short space of time. They are allowed supervised access to those only, as the temptation to destroy would be just too great.

Registered
Afternoon folks

My lovely 8 month old boy Stanley is destroying all the toys I buy for him.
I have tried Kong toys and the heavy rope ones. He pulled the rope one apart in 5 minutes! I have tried stuffed toys and unstuffed toys. He eats them all!
He loves to chew and enjoys a raw meaty bone every now and then. He would spend all day with it if I let him. He also loves his Buffalo horn and throws it around the room playing with it.
I wondered if you could offer any advice on what I could give him to play with or chew on. I think Jas鈥檚 mum mentioned a rolling pin, if you read this could you let me know more please? 馃憤馃徏
He loves a filled Kong too but I limit these as he is raw fed and it鈥檚 harder to judge the raw food to reduce his daily intake if you know what I mean.
I am grateful he hasn鈥檛 chewed or eaten anything in the house yet (quickly touches wood).
Thanks for any advice or tips you can suggest.
Lisa
Hi Lisa, we have had exactly the same problem with Jas lately, I was buying toys regularly but it was becoming a waste of money they were being destroyed at such a fast rate. Even a nylabone, the knotted sort, I was horrified when she bit the end off, made it look very dodgy! As a younger pup, after reading about it on the forum, we gave her an old rolling pin, made of beech wood. She got a lot of chewing out of that before it had to go. So we got her another, they aren't too expensive, it was big so OH cut it in half. Even now she's older she still loves to gnaw on it now and again, but these strong chewers have to be watched don't they? Incidentally it came from a well known online supplier but they are available in cook shops and I have seen them in charity shops too. I'm finding that now it's better if she doesn't have free access to the few toys she has left , if I take them out of reach now and again she comes back to them fresh if that makes sense? We also have a very tough rubber ball that she is quite gentle with, plays batting and rolling games with it..
Like the others have mentioned, I think this is a stage to get through, I watch Jas like a hawk with any toy/chew/stick /bone or ball 馃榾

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lisa, we have had exactly the same problem with Jas lately, I was buying toys regularly but it was becoming a waste of money they were being destroyed at such a fast rate. Even a nylabone, the knotted sort, I was horrified when she bit the end off, made it look very dodgy! As a younger pup, after reading about it on the forum, we gave her an old rolling pin, made of beech wood. She got a lot of chewing out of that before it had to go. So we got her another, they aren't too expensive, it was big so OH cut it in half. Even now she's older she still loves to gnaw on it now and again, but these strong chewers have to be watched don't they? Incidentally it came from a well known online supplier but they are available in cook shops and I have seen them in charity shops too. I'm finding that now it's better if she doesn't have free access to the few toys she has left , if I take them out of reach now and again she comes back to them fresh if that makes sense? We also have a very tough rubber ball that she is quite gentle with, plays batting and rolling games with it..
Like the others have mentioned, I think this is a stage to get through, I watch Jas like a hawk with any toy/chew/stick /bone or ball 馃榾
Thanks for the advice on the rolling pin I think I鈥檒l try it with Stanley. Jas sounds just like Stanley 馃榾 he is such a strong chewer. I watch him all the time too as he eats everything he decapitates! I tried the old jumper tip from John W and he has already started eating it 馃ぃ. I think I鈥檒l pick up the few remaining toys he has and give them out separately like you suggested. I think I thought he needed the toys to avoid any chewing of the house etc but when we are puttering or working from home to be fair he just sleeps which is great. Thanks for all the advice peeps it is much appreciated. I don鈥檛 know how I would have coped these past months without this forum. Especially as a new dog mum.

Registered
I cut up some of my old t shirts into strips and twisted and plaited them and tied off the ends. They鈥檙e about 12 inches long. Basil 19 weeks, has two and loves them. I can undo and redo them if the plaiting slackens and I can also put them in the washing machine and dryer too when they get wet and dirty. Both my previous labs loved the tough twisted rope toys - in fact I鈥檝e a carrier bagful sitting waiting for when Basil鈥榮 older and can manage them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stanley had a twisted rope toy yesterday and in 10 minutes he had shredded one end and was eating strands of cotton! I鈥檓 so scared of him twisting his intestine or getting a blockage. I鈥檒l certainly try the rope T-shirt though.
thanks
Lisa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts