Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Jazz is having her first heat. Any suggestions or hints? Good thing we have all Hardwood floors and no carpet. I can't fathom having a white or beige carpet. :lol:

Thanks,

BKB

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello Folks

Were still waiting for Jess to have her first one, she's 11 months old now so it can't be far away.

We've got the wooden floors too thank god :p

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
ooo seasons i hate them..lol..

i have 2 female labs and its like a slaughter house on my wooden floors sometimes..lol..you have a lovely 2-4 weeks of it im afraid..make sure you keep a close eye on her as you dont want other dogs getting frisky with her..lol...she may whine and cry a bit as i persume its like ours and they get period pains poor souls...

but now she is a fully fledged woman :):):)..lol..

oh yeah and look forward to male dogs jumping into your garden and doing there business everywere and spraying then taking ages to get your dog back in..lol..

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I used to have a unspade bitch before Ben, Be careful when out as mine used to try and slip her lead to escape.Also believe it or not she used to get a bit frisky with the cushions! :lol: I know what everyone means about the blood my socks were always poker dot red! 8O

Cristina

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Firstly, don't leave her unattended in the garden. You may get the neighbourhood dogs try to get in and when she's ready to mate, she will be just as eager to find a dog and may try to escape. :shock:
If you take her out for exercise, take her in the car, and onlead road exercise only. If you can find somewhere where there are unlikely to be other dogs (ie business park, industrial estate) so much the better.
When her season is over, wash her down before taking her out, to remove any lingering scent.
HTH- :)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i have to get my hubby to take my dogs for a walk when they are in season reason being funny story now when i think back..lol.

i was 4 mnthd pregnant with my now 6yr old walking tessa through our local park bearing in mind tessa was my first female choccy lab and i didnt know she was in season anyway happily walking along tessa on her lead then this huge mongrel dog came bounding over i didnt think much of it as tessa was on her lead anyway it came right up to her sniffing as they do..lol..i carryed on walking then this dog started to growl and bark at us i tryed to shoo it away but this only made it worse barking and growling at us i approached a fella and asked if it was his dog he said no and left me HE LEFT ME..LOL..so im now walking very quickly dragging tessa along...
got to a bus stop were there was 2 ppl they asked if i was ok as by now this dog was really going for us i started to cry..lol..(hormones..lol) told them this dog wouldnt leave us alone they tryed to shoo it away again it went for them this time so i made my escape heading for home to my horror i could hear it bounding up to me..by this time im hyserical running up my garden path my hubby comes running out wondering what on earth..lol..i bolt for the door and just blub me heart out...lol..he goes back out and theres the dog barks and growls at him he picks up a stone shouts GERRR OUTTTA ITTTT and the flippen thing runs away..lol..

so since then if any of my dogs are in season i dont walk them as im still scared and i dont walk in the park either as this dog still roams there..lol..
i look back and laugh now but atthe time it was scary..lol..

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
On a more serious, note we lived in a bottom floor flat(Married quarters) and the girl above us was american,it was a mixed base, anyway she would let her dog roam freely and we didnt know but she was on heat anyway long story short ,her dog was lying outside my door waiting to go out, my brother arrived to stay with 3 week old david in arms,there we all were cooing etc outside as i had not seen him before, then all of a sudden half the dogs on the estate ran over,anyway my brother got bit while still holding the baby the whole place was in pandemonium,my sister in law was hysterical ,well you can guess what it was like,only sane one amongst us was ian who grabbed david and ran in, the mod plods were everywhere ,anyway her reaction to this was when she eventually faced up to it was Gee man thats tough, thankfully we got a posting not long after but that situation scared the hell out of me and the memory of it still does,Lynne.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
I would always put an in season bitch in the car from your house otherwise a scent will be left as you walk, and you will be pestered with dogs around the house. They will follow a scent to you. As lablover said never let them off a lead and only walk somewhere where you are not likely to meet another dog, be extra careful between the 6th and approx 18th day although this could be different from bitch to bitch that is only a guideline. As I have heard of bitches being ready for mating early in the season and some much later. Although people will tell you it is about 12th day but that is certainly not true.
I believe you can buy a spray to spray around the back end or some people wash the back end with a weak solution of dettol to help take away the scent, but you need to be careful because dogs have allergies the same as we do.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
megaloo...yes when hubby takes them out during there season they go in the car but i wont go with him..lol..but we still get loads of dogs camping out in our garden on many occaisions i have had to phone the dog warden to come collect these dogs ...so when our dogs go in the garden i go with them with broom in hand..lol..they cant go in our back garden as this is the childrens play area and i dont want the dogs fouling this up..so for 4 weeks i shaparone them in the garden....with my trusty broom lol.

i think male and female dogs turn into horrors when its heat time..lol.
male dogs aggresive and jump what ever there held up in to get to the feamle...lol.. female dogs go dumb and ignore every command under the sun.lol.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Have to agree with you Lynne. It never ceases to amaze me how irresponsible some people can be with their bitches. In the last few months I've had two in season bitches come up to my entire dog, once when he was on a lead and both times in dog walking areas. One of them I know has been caught by a dog, fortunately, the owner had the sense to take her to the vets and get the pregnance terminated. The most recent one, my boy was on the lead when she came up dancing around him. When owner finally caught her she said 'Oh she's a bit flirty at the moment cos she's in season' :x :roll: Embarassingly, they were both labradors. :roll:

The problem is that dog owners do not know if a bitch is in season, whereas the bitches owner should know and if they cannot be responsible for them during this time they should be neutered.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
My thoughts exactly lablover,when dylan has matured a bit more and i get my little bitch she will be "done" as i have no thoughts of breeding from her and after having been through that experience would hate it to happen again,so in my case it would be the most sensible step,Lynne.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts