Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't panic I am not starting a pertition to bring back the TV show.

Chewy was lying sprawled across my lap on the sofa last night and I could feel her heart beating with my leg. I had never realised before how different to a human heartbeat it is... its not very regular at all.

Someone just tell me this is normal please!

·
Administrator
20,494 Posts
There can be big differences in the beats per minute. Some are VERY fast yet others are near the same as ours. It's all very normal and nothing at all to worry about.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Totally normal !!!

Metabolism a lot quicker than ours and hence can be very fast.

Also, when Chewy is shaking, REM, moving and woofing in sleep (as Judy does ALL the time) dont panic... it's not a fit etc!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha Chewy must dream she is eating a lot as her mouth is often chewing and she waggs her tail in her sleep - its adorable :)

Someone at work today said you must never touch a dog when its sleeping or it might attack you... is that true? Me and Chew sleep cuddled on the sofa all the time.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
StormDust said:
Someone at work today said you must never touch a dog when its sleeping or it might attack you... is that true? Me and Chew sleep cuddled on the sofa all the time.
Well, there are some dogs who may be startled if woken from sleep quickly and who might react quickly - and of course if people have children, it's best for them to be taught to leave a dog alone when they're sleeping.

However, I snuggle with mine on the sofa all the time and have had various dogs sleeping on my bed for more years than I'd care to mention and ... yes, just checked, I'm still here :)

Honestly, just try to relax a little and enjoy having your beautiful dog in your life :flower:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I do enjoy her - ever so much. She is literally the best thing ever! :)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Cool :)

I actually just woke one of mine up to give him a bit of my toast. Generally when mine have been younger, I've not really needed to wake them up, but he's a bit older now and I don't think hears as well as he used to. I tend to gently prod him while he's in his crate and talk to him. I wouldn't try to startle them as I know how horrid it is to be woken up suddenly.

·
Administrator
20,494 Posts
Someone at work today said you must never touch a dog when its sleeping or it might attack you
It would be unusual for a Labrador. I've awoken mine on any number of occasions for one (good) reason or another, but I normally speak as I'm doing it so they hear my voice as they wake. Normally all I get is a bleary eye and a tail wag. :lol: As a breed they are usually pretty level headed, and you have to remember that for the last hundred years of more they have been bred to work with man. A bit different to, for example, one of the fighting breeds.

Regards, John

·
Registered
370 Posts
This could be utter rubbish so apologies in advance...but I have read somewhere that you should never wake an ex-racing greyhound from its sleep.

·
Registered
429 Posts
jack sleeps with his eye thats not touching the floor half open its so funny ,
hes ok to be woken his heartbeat and breathing is nothing like ours its strange feeling it .

i wont panic it seems like the normal thing for a dog

1 - 11 of 11 Posts