Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D BUy a big tub of cod liver oil capsules from your local health store and feed them to your lab as a treat atleast once a day. It's great for their coats but does wonders in the inside too, especially for their joints. Start giving cod liver oil as a suppliment at any age! ( This has worked for all our labs and friends too but please, if your dog suffers an upset stomach etc stop giving the oil!)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I seem to remember reading that they can easily overdose on cod liver oil so be careful not to give too much. I can't remember why now -think it was something to do with the vitamin content, but will see if I can find out. Instead I give a tin of sardines or pilchards a couple of times a week.
For treats nothing beats liver cake!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi

A women here in my area makes dog treats from ingredients right from her own kitchen. She had 2 dogs die of cancer and did research on the best anti-oxidents that fight the disease. My dogs love the treats and they are the only ones that they will eat. I had to throwaway and entire box of store bought treats because they turned their nonses up at them! Their favorite are the peanut butter banana and my moms dog loves the crunchy carrot treats.
You can check out her site at www.doggiecafe.com

Missy

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Why do people feed supplements without making sure they are safe.

NEVER feed your lab CLO. (Cod liver oil). Labs do need the oils but only if you and not feeding a balanced feed, ie: complete. If you do feed complete, do not supplement your dog. If you feed BARF the the only fish oil to supplement with is FBO. Fish Body Oils. Better to fee and tin of pilchard, sardines in tomato sauce or salmon. Too many people feed supplements thinking they are doing good.

Vitamins A, C, E are valuable anti oxidants and as such are a good idea for human and canine health. If you feed raw Vitamin A will be amply supplied by liver; Vitamin C is also an excellent anti histamine, anti inflammatory and as it is water soluble can be given to bowel tolerance; useful in growing pups and in times of stress; although dogs synthesise their own, when adult, one can never know if it is enough.

Flaxseed oil is a valuable source of Omega 3s and EFAs however I prefer to feed Fish Body Oil for this purpose as it is active rather than inactive and is from an animal rather than a cereal source; also flax seed oil can cause itchiness in some dogs. ALL diets whether commercial or raw, are deficient in Omega 3s, because meat is grain fed, hence the addition. Again FBO is a great anti inflammatory and is good for brain functin and joints. If you DO feed either of these than Vitamin E is a MUST (read any of the raw feeding books); depending on the size of your dog 200 - 400 iu per day, preferably natural which is indicated by the term d-alpha -tocopherol. Vitamin C around 1000mg per day, garlic a fresh clove each day (internal antiseptic, cleanser, detoxifier, and deters fleas and worms).

Cottage cheese is not really necessary for dogs, as it is a dairy product and most adult dogs are lactose deficient.

ALL diets whether human or canine will be deficient in lots of vitamins and minerals for many reasons. Processing obviously destroys a lot of them (hence why they are put back in commercial diets), the ground that veg and fruit are grown in are mineral deficient from over use. Fruits and veg lose their vitality due to very long storage etc; hence why it is no bad thing to supplement our own and our dogs diets.

Keepers Mix is rich in alfalfa and kelp and both are rich in macro nutrients from the sea/land.

Kay

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My lab loves carrots. The larger the better
Hi Fi,

Our Bradley loves carrots too! He has great fun eating them too, keeps him quiet for half hour :wink: He looks at me when i'm cooking tea now, and i can feel him watching me out the corner of my eye..he's looking out for the bag or carrots to come out :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Half an hour! :shock:

You're lucky they keep him amused so long. Mine takes about.... 39 seconds. Mind you, we timed her on the new Pedigree giant chews - the one that supposedly lasts up to an hour. 13 mins is more like it. It was a very expensive 13 minutes! :D

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Oops Sorry Finella, Its just that I have a friend called Fi and her dogs also managed to devour this type of treat in under 15 mins. :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried my lot with those pedigree chews. None of them lasted any longer than about 10 minutes. I got them wholesale, but evn so they arr pricey for the length of time they last. At least carrots are cheaper.

A piece of rawhide lasts for hours though. Keeps their teeth clean too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts