Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am looking at buying a puppy and I am a bit confused regarding scores. Puppies I am looking at have a mum with 0/0 elbow scores are 3/3 hips, dad is 0/0 elbows and 7/7 hips. Is this ok? Or are dads hips bad? I’m concerned as our previous lab had issues with his elbows and this pup is for my daughter so trying to avoid more upset. Thanks

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
7/7 hips, good or bad. Yes is the answer! No they are not ideal, but yes, they may well be good enough! You see, hip scores are made up of nine separate features with marks out of 6 awarded for eight of those features and out of 5 for the ninth making a total of 53 per side. So loosing 7 out of 53 might not sound bad. But it all depends on how those marks were lost. To lose just one mark each on seven features would mean that the score is not bad at all, but to loose it all on one feature would mean that feature is completely missing and the dog is a cripple! This is why I like the UK way of scoring, because it gives so much detail.

So what does all that mean? These hips are worse than average. Would I accept them? They are at the limit of what I would accept but I'd not reject it out of hand. I'd want to see the hip scoring certificate to determine where the marks had been lost. I would also go onto the KC website and look at the Estimated Breed Value for the dog. This is comprised of the scores of the ancestors and any progeny, so helps to build a picture about whether these hips might be inherited, or possibly caused by over exercise at an early age.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Very much as John has said, 7/7 is acceptable, but it's also what is behind that, is there a history of high scores behind either (don't forget a low score on the dam herself is no indication of what's in her pedigree) and what are the estimated breeding values, or the probability of high hips going forward, and (if you can) what are those sort of lines producing, is this a repeat mating, so can you look at any evidence of good/poor hips and/or what relatives are producing. A hip score of 7/7 is my upper limit, but looking back the dam of my now 15 year old had a hip score of 10/9 which was only 2 points above the then, breed mean standard of 17. Now that figure is down to 11 (I think from memory) and they also now use the median of 9 as a yard stick, so to speak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts