Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm trying to locate anyone who bought a choc/black lab born on the 9/5/13 from a particular Labrador Breeder in Shropshire. I bought one who has serious health issues and would like to contact others who had a puppy from the same litter as its heredity.

NOTE FROM ADMIN

Although originally we let this thread run we have to be careful as it could deemed as Libleous due to the breeder not being able to defend themselves and no actual proof that the breeder is in the wrong.

However, there is some useful info contained in the thread so I have edited the breeder name to prevent any legal action.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm afraid that it's very unlikely that you will trace your dog's littermates - unless the breeder has contact addresses and is willing to be co-operative.

As this is regarding a health issue, a responsible breeder should want to help, but there are many who can't or won't. As ****l are Assured Breeders under the KC scheme I would certainly expect them to be as helpful as possible. Obviously they should not pass on contact information but I would hope that they would be willing to contact the new owners on your behalf. So the first step would be to contact the breeder. If you cannot contact the owners of the littermates via the breeder you are not likely to find them.

I've been trying to trace the littermates of my own dog Monty for over seven years without any success (even though I have the names of the dogs and the names of some of the owners). My reason for trying to do this is very similar to your own - genetic health issues.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you June. I have contacted the breeder who unfortunately was very unhelpful, she said they cannot be held responsible for what might happen to the puppies in the future. Also I contacted the kennel club because they are an assured breeder, but their response was extremely disappointing. I just want the owners of the other puppies to be made aware, as they cannot be used for breeding in the future, and they have a right to know. The kennel club are unwilling to contact the owners as they say that's up to the breeder. My puppy has to undergo surgery on Monday. We are very distraught. He's not yet 10 months old and if the procedure doesn't help we fear he will only have a very short life. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pup. Can I ask what is the matter with him?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Moominjuju said:
I have contacted the breeder who unfortunately was very unhelpful, she said they cannot be held responsible for what might happen to the puppies in the future
That sounds familiar! They may be frightened that you are trying to pin blame on them - when in actual fact you are trying to help other dogs.

Moominjuju said:
I just want the owners of the other puppies to be made aware, as they cannot be used for breeding in the future, and they have a right to know
Your motives are absolutely correct!

Moominjuju said:
The kennel club are unwilling to contact the owners as they say that's up to the breeder.
Yep - that's the response I had too.

Moominjuju said:
My puppy has to undergo surgery on Monday. We are very distraught. He's not yet 10 months old and if the procedure doesn't help we fear he will only have a very short life.
I am so sorry to hear this - it's natural that you will be extremely worried and upset. There are people here on LF who may have had experience of the problem your puppy has and may be able to help - if you want to share.

Hope all goes well on Monday.

Hugs x

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hit this very same wall with the breeders we got Monty from.

Only trying to be a thoughtful person makes me so angry.
What is wrong with your pup?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
He's hardly a puppy now - he will be ten this year :D

He has a neurological condition which causes seizure-type episodes. The episodes began when he was two years old. It was diagnosed as a movement disorder which is believed to be genetic. Neurologists asked if I knew whether any of the other puppies from the litter were similarly affected as DNA samples from them could help to identify the mutant gene involved. So I attempted to track them down - but had no success.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Hi "Moominjuju" I will be thinking of You and your puppy and hope everything will be OK :grouphuuug:

I am hoping that, at least, the breeder has listened to you and checked out this problem and hopefully, the stud dog or breeding bitch will not be used again.

If the puppies have been sold with a Puppy Contract with a breeding restriction they can refuse to lift the restriction so any breeding from them cannot be KC reg.

I must confess, this makes me very sad, this breeder is not far from me. Over the years I have seen a few beautiful pale yellows that have come from there and TBH I thought they were a bit more caring.

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Can i ask.... Even if you don't wish to say what the specific problem is that your youngster suffers from.... Is there a healthtest out there for the condition that the breeders COULD have done, but didn't?

it is strongly my experience that the hurt and sadness, maybe even anger that finding your youngster has a problem creates in owners, they often wish to share this with other owners of related dogs. But in honest reality its better those owners do not get scared out their wits. If their dog is going to develop it too, they will soon enough. If not, they REALLY don't need to be told as they will worry sit and wait for their currently healthy dog to 'break'.

Good luck with your surgery, hope it gives him some comfort.
di

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your lab, and hope his op goes well. As others have said it would be interesting to know exactly what his problem is and whether it could have been tested for.

Cadbury is a **** lab, born 2008. His parents had all the current health tests available and he has always been a very healthy soul. I found his breeder very good, in fact there was a slight glitch before I had Cadbury where he developed a bump on his leg. The vet thought it could be a bruise, but at the same time could be something more nasty. So I was contacted to say because of this health problem she would not be able to sell him to me, and she gave me a number of options from my money back to first choice on next litter. In the end Cadbury's bump went away, the vet was convinced it had just been a bruise and after talking with the breeder I had Cadbury. He has never suffered any future problems.

I guess what I am saying is I am surprised to hear about all the problems you have had, as I found the complete opposite, and Cadbury has never had any major health problems (unless you count snorting a grass seed due to idiocy!) :wink: Even his little EIC scare proved to be psychological rather than physical.

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Sadly, although we want to find someone to blame often there isn't anyone.

I have lost two young dogs to congenital conditions, an Irish wolfhound at 11 months old to Hirshsprungs, which is very very rare and then last year a Labrador at 13 months old to Liver Failure, which was also congenital, she was born with a deformed Liver which we were unaware of and didn't show until a month before she died.

I was so overcome with grief and what ifs that I looked each time for a door to lay the blame at. I too wanted to contact other puppy owners to warn them or find out if I was the only one going through this heartache.

Unfortunately it doesn't achieve anything, it just takes up the time you could be spending enjoying the time you have with your dogs.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I think the response by the breeder can be more fairly judged by knowing the health issue.

If this a problem which the breeder is purposely ignoring when it could cause serious congenital defects in future litters or it means other puppies in this litter could be carriers then their response is disgusting.

If this a hip or elbow issue and related to hip and elbow scores then I can see how the response would be to say that this is no guarantee that they won't have hip or elbow problems. Although as a breeder, if your dam and sire combo had produced some dodgy hip or elbow problems then surely you would want to know this info for future breeding ???

However, whatever the health problem, to come away feeling that your breeder doesn't appear to care about a puppy that they bred is awful. I would hope even if a decent breeder could not do anything to help the situation that they might show some interest and concern!

I hope the surgery today is a success and sorts the problem out.

Chloe

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
I'm not really sure you should even be mentioning the breeder in this sort of context. It could easier be taken as libellous. Don't forget this is a public forum and now anyone who does a Google search could see what you have posted including the breeders.

Maybe this needs flagging?

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE:You have found another puppy owner

Hi Moominjuju,
Trying to get in touch with you had puppy with the same birth date from the same breeder can you get in touch would like to talk to you if possible.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum, Sox and Loki

Sadly, "Moominjuju", the poster of this thread is not a subscribed member of the forum and has no "free" posts left. If you read thro' you can see she never said exactly what the problem with her puppy was, which I'm sure many of us were wondering.

Maybe You can track her down someway on the internet?

I hope Loki is OK xxx

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never accused anyone of anything, but was simply trying to trace anyone else who had a puppy from the same litter as Magic. I apologise for those who though my ad was libellous.
Thank you to those who showed concern, however we had to have Magic put to sleep on march 5th due to the severity of his disease. He was not quite 10 months old. I cannot begin to tell you the pain and distress this has left for me and my family. We are truly devastated.
Julie x

1 - 20 of 34 Posts