Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we have taken the plunge and got ourselves a black lab! Picked him up yesterday at 7 weeks old and he is so adorable - name is Bruce (after the shark in finding nemo my son tells me!).

We have got ourselves a crate for nightimes as recommended by many of you - the first night wasn't as bad as we were expecting - up at three then again at six and no mess made!!!

I have been desperate for a pup forever as has my five year old son but we just couldn't convince the Mrs so against all the advice, I did it anyway and would you believe it - the Mrs was up with me during the night making tea!! AND she donated a fleece blanket to his crate, the first addition of hers to the hundreds I have spent!

'Brucey' is settling in really well but I am consious that it is only 24 hours - he has only done one wee in the house, the rest and the number twos in the garden.

Thanks to all who have posted for your valuable advice - we wouldn't have been prepared without it! :p

G

·
Congratulations on your pup Bruce. Don't forget to post some pictures of him on the website for us all to coo over.

Michaela

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi there,
welcome to the totally mad world of labby lovers :lol: its good to know that all the advice on here has helped. with out this site i would have probably ended up in a straight jacket (or max would) by now 8O some of the capers they can get up to can be mind blowing so its nice to know that your little angel is not the only one up to fun and games :D the wealth of knowledge on here is fantastic so theres always someone who's been there, done it, read the book and got the t shirt :lol:
all the best,

jane and max.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi :)

Welcome to the forum!

We have had our black Lab Harvey, for 8 weeks now and he is a little sweetheart. I hope Bruce brings you as much happiness as our little Harvey.

The forum is brilliant - and has helped me so much!

Have fun!

Fay

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi

welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your new family member bruce,. you made me laugh about your mrs as i am the opposite it was my hubby that was against us having another lab..lol..but now rosze has been with us for nearly 2 weeks now and its hubby lying on the floor giving her more cuddles than me..lol..
i wish you loads of fun with bruce and look forward to seeing some pics of him :):):)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum,hope you and bruce will have many special times to-gether,had to laugh about the mrs,didnt take long did it, she hasn't got another fleecy blanket to spare has she? dylan's chewed his up again cant remember if this is no3 or 4 and chewed up about 8 mattresses for his vinyl bed,but dont worry dylan is not the norm,anyway good luck with bruce,Lynne.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi , welcome to the forum and congratulation on you new puppy! :D
I had to laugh a the bit about your mrs not wanting a pup :lol: My other half did'nt want a labrador, he wanted a newfoundland (huh). But finally made him see what great dogs labbies are (cheaper to feed!). Now we would never be without him, although he grumbles when Ben has chewed something up (normally something of his!) :twisted:

Cristina

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
Welcome to the Forum.
I hope Bruce goes on being good, train him well, and he will be a companion for many years. Fortunately for me I have had several Blacks who each have had their own characters, some naughtier but all very loyal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
oh u r so lucky my cute labby pees 20 times a day IN THE HOUSE ! lol its driving me nuts but she is so cute cant get annoyed when she looks at me with her deep black eyes like "i am so cute plz dont scold me"

·
Registered
364 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of lab ownership!

Good to know he has settled in well and your wife is enjoying him as well .. but if she is anything like my wife he will be refered to as "Brucikins" when he is behaving, but "YOUR DOG" when he is misbehaving! :lol:

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
[email protected] nigel yes i understand that when rosze is chewing on something she shouldnt its *CLLAAIIRRRR* sort your dog out when she is asleep on the floor its awwww isnt *our* dog cute..lol..and vets bills are MY job..lol..
my hubby picks and chooses when rosze is ours and not just mine..lol..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have managed to upload some pic's - taking plenty more though - he is a laugh a minute! I can't believe what a distinctive personality they have when still so young!! :twisted:

Well, not much sleep being had at the moment but Bruce has yet to have an accident inside the house!!!! Every time in the garden!!! He got me out of bed last night at three and again at five and clearly thought it was time to play - ended up sleeping on the settee with him on my chest until seven. A couple of people have told me I am making a rod for my own back getting up all the time but 1) I can't let him cry and 2) I would rather he was clean even if it is at the sacrifice of a few precious hours!! :? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

While I have got you, could any of you give me the answer to the following golden questions as there is so much conflicting info around?

1) What are the exercise boundaries? What defines too much and up until waht age?

2) I am currently feeding him Goats Milk & Weetabix for Breakfast, Complete for lunch, Goats Milk and Porridge Oats for Afternoon Snack and Complete for Dinner with a biscuit for bedtime. He seems to like this but do you have any thoughts?

3) The second of the two injections is planned on 1st April - how soon after this can I take him out?

Thanks once again for all your advice guys.

The pictures are here: http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/gallery-album_Bruce.html

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
The vet should be able to help you with most of the questions you have asked. But we were aloud to take ben out 2 weeks after the final injection. I would advise not to take him out much at all for awhile as they are a fast growing breed and there joints just can't take the exercise.Not sure about the food as Ben has always had puppy food, I'm sure the other members will be able to help. HTH

Cristina

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi,

With reference to the excercise the rule is 5 minutes per month - but I'm not sure up until what age. I know someone will tell us, I would like to know that one too :)

When Harvey had his second injection, the vet said we could take him out in a week - the longest week ever!

Best wishes
Fay

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi, glad he's settling down ok,very little excercise at first just playing in the garden is enough ,dylan was allowed out 2 weeks after his last injection,but in the meantime i used to put him in the car and go for a paper so he would get used to the car, my first lad was car sick for years,second one adored the car so does dylan, also used to carry dylan around just to the back of our house where we have woods and stand there and let him listen to the noises,but dont be tempted to put him down till he's allowed,socilaisation is essential,thats a strange diet have you been recommended that?milk is suppose to be a no no for dogs,although my ben loved milk and would occasionally have some but he was 13,i'm not sure about goats milk i assume it would be the same rule,someone else will know more about that,anyway your vet will give you all the important info i'm sure,take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi, the 5min per month rule of thumb is an excellent guidline and one which I strictly adhere to until the pups is around 14-15months. The growth platelets are not fully developed until around a year old and any damage can result in HD (this is not just hereditary) as can under-excersise and over feeding.

The 'fear factor' happens around the 8week stage, so personally I like to take my pups out in my arms to show them the big wide world, bearing in mind they must be kept away from dogs and NEVER be placed on the ground.

Dogs are normally lacatose intollerant so milk is not usually advised, but goats milk is ok if your dog can handle it. I would stop feeding the weetabix and this is simply grains and has no nutritional benefit for your pup whatsoever, I would replace this with a high quality puppy complete with a protein content of around 25%. At 8 weeks he should be on 4 meals a day, cutting down to 3 per day at 16weeks and then 2 a day of a high quality adult complete (no more than 22% protein) from 8months onwards.

As for taking him out after 2nd injection I would consult your vet on this. Vets vary their timings on this simply because different areas have a more dense population of dogs and therefore a higher risk factor. I personally take my pups out after 3 days, I am the only person within a 5 mile radius with dogs, but I will have carried them about from 6 weeks onwards.

Good luck and enjoy your puppy :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts