Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog eats poo.once I was having a friend round to tea and he came in with a lump of poo in his mouth. :oops: I was very inbaressed.He eats not just his own but different animals aswell.do you have any tips

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi
Cookie has started to eat her own poo too recently, I spoke to my dad who said he thought it was due to a lack of vitamins or minerals in their diet, so they eat their own mess to compensate. Im not sure how true it is but I have heard it a few times. I stopped cookie doing this by changing her food, she was on dry food only before but now i give her some tinned meat, or add gravy to her dry food. this seems to have helped for now.

Lindsay

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think you find that most dogs eat poo of some variety.

Scooby loves horse poo (just about acceptable) and tries to get the cat poo out the litter tray (a definite no no!) usually followed by a big sloppy kiss for their owner. :lol:

I think that if thye eat their own then it may suggest a problem with their diet.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Jordan
There was another thread on this subject recently - it may help
http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-847.html
It's quite normal for a dog, it's only we humans that think its disgusting. If he's eating his own, I'd make sure you pick up after him in the garden. Some say adding pineapple to their diet helps as this is high in digestive enzymes - one of the theories it that faeces contains alot of undigested food, so for a dog it is a food source.
HTH :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts