Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Hope your well. So Louie my black Lab has a wee problem. He is 8 months old. So far only one of his balls has dropped. The vet has said she thinks she can feel the other, but not sure. How long should I wait till get him seen again? Will I be able to breed him? Any advice be greatly welcomed.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Grey

Premium Member
It can take a while, personally, and I don't own dogs, but if I did I wouldn't worry until they were about 18 months of age and both hadn't appeared.

Administrator
I've known as late as a year, but in any case, there is no rush. Yes there is a slight increased risk of testicular cancer with retained testicles due the the body heat. But it's not a big risk, and in any case, it's not really something that is going to happen over night. If you do need, or decide, to go down the route of neutering then these days the recommendation is not before long bone closure, which with Labradors is around 14 months. Add a couple or so months to that to be on the safe side and Tarimoor's 18 months is a good guide.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've known as late as a year, but in any case, there is no rush. Yes there is a slight increased risk of testicular cancer with retained testicles due the the body heat. But it's not a big risk, and in any case, it's not really something that is going to happen over night. If you do need, or decide, to go down the route of neutering then these days the recommendation is not before long bone closure, which with Labradors is around 14 months. Add a couple or so months to that to be on the safe side and Tarimoor's 18 months is a good guide.
Thank you John.

Registered
We had our lab Basil neutered a month ago at 14 months as he鈥檇 only got one testicle descended and we were concerned about cancer strangulation etc he used to get these twinges where he鈥檇 run to us in an agitated state and we wondered if it was because of the hidden testicle. the vet had to root around for the missing testicle which complicated the operation and hes had an 8 inch wound He was a whining the first night and ok after that

He鈥檚 fine now and is back to his old self or maybe a better self? - he doesn鈥檛 seem to have his strange twinges and he鈥檚 eating better (he was always a fussy eater) i know we鈥檒l have to watch his weight but at present we鈥檙e just glad to see he鈥檚 got a good appetite
Thats our experience

Premium Member
Lots of good advice. As a bitch owner I鈥檇 probably not consider breeding with a dog with an undescended testicle. In my country it wouldn鈥檛 be permitted anyway. Not to say you couldn鈥檛 but unless he was exceptional in the show ring (which is unlikely as he鈥檚 currently only got one) I can鈥檛 imagine bitch owners flocking to your door. The ones that might probably wouldn鈥檛 be the ones you鈥檇 want. Give it time, hopefully it鈥檒l all come right.

Premium Member
Lots of good advice. As a bitch owner I鈥檇 probably not consider breeding with a dog with an undescended testicle. In my country it wouldn鈥檛 be permitted anyway. Not to say you couldn鈥檛 but unless he was exceptional in the show ring (which is unlikely as he鈥檚 currently only got one) I can鈥檛 imagine bitch owners flocking to your door. The ones that might probably wouldn鈥檛 be the ones you鈥檇 want. Give it time, hopefully it鈥檒l all come right.
I'd missed that bit of the question, but yes, as cryptorchidism is considered something that may be genetic, bitch owners wouldn't be interested if they are aware, and obviously you wouldn't want to risk this passing on to pups.

Registered
Well he's a stunner

And he doesn't look concerned

In fact, I reckon he can't understand what all the fuss is.... probably thinks it's a load of bollo....ahem!

Reactions: SparkyFraser

Registered
Labrador
Hello, there is another recent thread on the same subject, where I have posted about one of our pups who had the same. Suffice to say it all turned out ok in the end - he's 10 months now and spends most of his time asleep flat on his back displaying the crown jewels with pride and no issues at all :ROFLMAO:

Try and do a search for that post so you can also see other responses; stay calm and just carry on as normal would be my advice :) He's a handsome chap!:love:

Registered
My Benny is 13 months old and still only has one testicle. I had him booked in for castration back in April as I was getting concerned, but having taken advice on here I cancelled the op and I'm going to wait until at least next year. Benny isn't the least bit bothered, he's a big dog, not sure how much he weighs these days but back in February when the vet weighed him at 8 months he was 31kg so I reckon he's a good bit more than than now and he's not got any fat on him, he's very fit as is his twin brother Max (who has a full compliment of wedding tackle).
The missing testicle is not on my list of priorities and it's certainly not in Benny's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts