Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of thought and quite a bit of reluctance after the operations she's already been through, we've decided to have Penny spayed. Given the fact that she's had hip dysplasia we would now never breed her. Not least because I'm not sure how her hips would cope with pregnancy but particularly because I could not bear the thought of her passing it on to her litter and watching other pups go through what she has.

As I say we were reluctant but after the Vet discussed with us all the potential problems she could face if she wasn't spayed we've decided that for her in the long run it's the best thing. She's two now, is that a bit older than average?

She's going in on 14 June (just after we come back from a couple of week's holiday). Does anyone have any advice on what to expect or any specific things we should consider about her recovery? I've heard that weight gain can be an issue for lab bitches, any experience of this? What about exercise post-op? I'm sure our Vet (who I have to say is absolutely terrific) will give us plenty of info, but so many of you have so much experience I'd be really interested in your views.

Thanks
Trina

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi trina

we have had one of our late dogs spayed (cavalier king charles) she was spayed at 9yrs old due to a womb infection cant remeber the name of it now but it was a emergancy spay... so 2yrs of age getting spayed is probably about average you are doing the right thing in getting her spayed like you say you dont want her passing on the hd ...but think of it this way no more seasons no mess on the floor from them and no dogs hanging round outside :p :p

the recovery i would say depends on each dog but it took my sophie about a full week to fully recover from her spay..

as for the weight again that depends on you as the owner if she goes on regular walks and his excercised well and not overfed then she should have no problems with her weight..

my brother in law had his black lab spayed and she still has her lovely slim line body she had before the spaying..

i would say and you probably already know this but the first say 5 days dont let her jump all over the place and gentle exercise should do her..keep checking on the stiches making sure they stay clean as possible and penny does not pull them out..lol.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Trina,

I hope the op all goes well for Penny. :D I think you are doing the right thing, as if you don't intend to breed from her then it is for the best.
I'm sure the vet will advise you on how long she will need gentle lead exercise (our dogs was about 2 weeks).

They are prone to putting on weight after they are spayed, careful feeding and exercise should help to control this.

Let us know how she gets on. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts