Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I was younger I used to run the race for life religiously every year, until I had my facial surgery, my health took a bit if a slide after that. With everything going on right now with my nan and me generally feeling miserable, I'm considering donning my running shoes and getting back out there. Although I'm not sure because I haven't run for a long time, and I don't really have the money to invest in a gym membership right now, and with the weather being so bad it would be the only way I could train. I was considering the Cardiff Half Marathon which is in October, but with things being so "off" at the moment I'm just not sure. If I was to get a job I'd start training right away as I'd be able to afford the gym membership, so right now I'm half and half.

I'm a big supporter of charities and I do miss fundraising, I'm just not sure if it would be possible to get fit in time to run it without gym membership, especially with the weather being so bad!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Definitely Emma - get out there and get yourself in training. Also, if you are doing fundraising then that is something else to put on your CV. And what is a bit of rain anyway....!

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol yeah my glasses don't agree with running in the rain! We will see if I can get some cash together and get that gym membership sorted, attend some classes, as I'll need to make sure the ligaments in my knees are strong enough as when I started back running last year I injured my knee because my ligaments weren't strong enough so will have to have a go and see how I get on.

Thanks for the vote of confidence I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
teejayw said:
Go for it, just get out there and just start off gently and you'll be fine. Maybe try the couch to 5k app?
I have the Zombies Run! C25K app that I was using before I injured my knee >.< will have to invest in a waterproof phone case and some new headphones >.< Can't afford for my phone to get damaged in rain, iPhone 5's are still pretty expensive lol!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Do it! Cooper and I are going to start running together after his 1st birthday (in March!)

Have you read 'Running like a girl'? It's really funny and inspiring, so might help get you in the right frame of mind to start your training again.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't read that one, maybe I should, if I'm honest I'm not much of a reader! Unless it's scientific or medical journals lol. Lilly is 1 at the end of April, but ideally I need to start training asap, the C25K takes 8-9 weeks to complete then I need to up my distance from 3.1 miles to 6.1miles and then up to the 13 miles for the half marathon before October. I'm pretty outta shape lol, like I could do with dropping 2 stone out of shape. When I was at the gym before I got Lilly I did x-biking/spinning classes, pilates and kettle bells classes plus the gym and didn't even loose a pound in well over 2 months its utterly painful!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
BTW (*fitness instructor hat on*) you don't HAVE to go to a gym to get fit. Loads of body weight exercises you can do at home. Sounds odd, but pick up an issue of Men's Health and there will be lots of tips in it.

If you don't want a gym, there are also lots of 'pay as you go' bootcamps or heck shake you booty with something like Zumba -- or even just get on your bike (in a nice sort of way). Or even local pool and swim. Mix it up for best results;

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They closed our local swimming pool and bulldozed it >.< I've just ordered a waterproof case for my phone and a new set of headphones as I have no idea where mine have gone >.<. So when both arrive I will start back on the C25K program as I had a very encouraging 3.5mile walk today.

My mile splits were:

Mile 1: 18:39 speed: 3.2mph
Mile 2: 17:22 speed: 3.5mph
Mile 3: 17:08 Speed: 3.5mph

Total time 1:02:01
Total calorie burn: 655
Avg heart rate: 162bpm
Max heart rate: 190bpm

Not sure if this a good walk but I felt good.

Local authority gym is £35 a month which is money I don't have right now, unless of course I get a job and can stop being a carer then I will be 100 % joining a gym.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right so being as I am laying in bed awake >.< can't sleep with the wind and rain again. I've been thinking about loads of stuff mostly, if I can get fit what charity would I support, I've been thinking of the British Heart Foundation but at the same time I'm torn between my personal 2 charities, Operation Smile and Saving faces.

Bit of back history:

In 2007 I had major facial surgery, where the maxilla, mandible and chin were broken and realigned to correct a jaw deformity that I had since birth. The operation was a success but my nerves were damaged leaving me with little to no feeling in parts of my face and no feeling at all in my lips.

As such I have a great personal pull towards either Operation Smile or Saving Faces. On the other hand I have had two grandparents die due to heart attacks and my grandmother is due to undergo major surgery for a new procedure called T.A.V.I - Transcatheter aortic valve implantation, in the next couple of weeks. As such I have a pull towards them too.

After todays walk I am feeling much more certain that I need to get fit and as I have always liked running, I can see no better way. I also love supporting charities so with this I can kill to birds with one stone so to speak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts