Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

If you have adopted a labrador we would love to hear your stories.

What made you decide to rescue a lab & how many labs did you see before deciding on the right one for you?

How is life with your new companion?

Do tell. :wink:

We look forward to hearing from you.

Julie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jamie's Rescue

We adopted Jamie from the Labrador Rescue Trust about two months ago. I grew up with labs and really wanted another. Before we moved back to England three years ago we had an adopted greyhound that we had to return to the rescue, I was heart broken to say the least. It took me just over two years to get over her and decide to adopt Jamie. Since we have an assortment of pets (cat, chipmunk, hamster, and house rabbit) I needed to make sure that the dog we would adopt would get along w/ the rabbit and cat. We waited for what seemed like forever but one night we got a call about Jamie. It was love at first sight. I cried because I knew he was the right one for me... for us as a family. He and I bonded straight away. He also bonded with our rabbit.

]

We had him for just one week when he showed us his loyalty. It was the morning after Easter around 4:00 am. Jamie started barking uncontrollably. I came down to see what was the matter. I was thinking that maybe a neighbour cat had wondered in. I let him out in the back garden to do his business and he would not stop barking. I was frustrated and started to think that I had a "barker" on my hands. :roll: I called Jamie back in and closed the kitchen window.... wait... closed the window? I guess we had left it open and that is how the cat got in. I went back up to bed and he started barking again. This time DH and I got up with him since sleeping was out of the question. DH went in the back garden to retrieve our house rabbit that had gone out earlier with Jamie. As he was walking up he noticed that all of my plants etc... that I keep in the window were now sitting on the bench outside below the window... we were almost burgled! I made a quick visual search around the kitchen because I had left my mobile phone and my handbag on the work surface... they were still there! Jamie must have got them before they even reached as far. We praised him and gave him many a cuddle for a job well done.
Ever since that day he has been very protective of us and our home. I don't know what I would do without him now.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jamies mum,

Welcome to labforums. :)

Jamie looks gorgeous, and i'm so pleased he has settled in so well and you have bonded, he looks like he's very at relaxed in that photo, and i like your warning sign too...lol!

How old is Jamie?

I admire you for giving Jamie a lovely home, when before he may have faced an uncertain future, you've certainly bought the smile back on his face, he's lovely.

Have a good time in the forums, and i look forward to catching up with you & Jamie soon.

All the best,

Julie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cassie!

Yes,I rescued Cassie,my 8 year old Lab/(we think Beagleor Foxhound Cross) from a locallady who hadnt a clue about breeding.She had put Cassie through the ordeal of not calling a vet in when not pushing out her first of her 12 puppies last July.

She had to have a cezarian to remove 5 yellow,black and 2 chocs.

She was extremely low afterwards for some time.The phone rang at a place I was grooming at at the time asking if we took in dogs as well as cats.I had her without question!!!!!!

She is short,has short legs and looks like a foxhound or beagle in the rear leg department when she walks in front of you.She sniffs out pheasants extremely well even though they fly away!:)

We love eachother to bits!I had to re-home my Choc puppy,Anna,when I was life-threateningly ill 3 years ago.So Hi Anna in Camberley area if your Mum or Dad is reading this!!!!!!Hope you are well baby!

Anyway,thats Beagle-Bum and I's story!

Steve.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Catgroom I am sure your Anna would have found a wonderful forever home. Did she go to friends or Rescue? most breed rescues make sure the homes they use are perfect for your particular dog.
It is wonderful now you are better that you have been able to Rescue a dog Good Luck regards Meg

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have had 3 rescue Labs of our own - sadly lost one last year aged 10 and a half! he was my pride and joy and raised him from a 17month old hooligan into a gentle loving boy who captivated everyone. We still have 2 girls from LLT who are both 9 years old. One was taken to be put to sleep for killing a neighbours chicken! The other girl her owner was dying of cancer and he had to give her up. She was 52Kg due to lack of exercise and too many goodies. Also foster for rescues too not just labs but ither gundogs too from 12 weeks to 12 years!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

There are some lovely stories here...and also some sadness, for which my heart goes out to you.

You have all given such loving homes to those labs most in need and for that I take my hat off to you - you've all done wonderful jobs, and been justly rewarded by loving, loyal companions.

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i'm new to here today 8/1/06 Thought i'd share my story with you.
I'm in the process of rehoming Roger an 8 year old black lab. He's had a really awful life. Which now means he's scared of the dark and needs a light left on for him at bedtime. He sadly has no teeth either ( i won't go into details) He is also a very scared and nervous dog, but put on a brave face and shook a paw when I saw him cowering in the back of his kennel. I can't wait to get him home to me where there is the most cosiest of beds and toys waiting for him. i'm thinking of maybe trying him on herbal remedies to help with his nerves. Has anyone else tried this or heard of anyone trying it? Just that I want everything to be as stressfree as possible for him. Thank you buzzybeeee

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
OH buzzybee

I had tears in my eyes when I read the brief story of Roger, he must have had an appalling life before!!! I have a rescue (not Labbie) and I have to say its really rewarding isn't it. I look forward to hearing more about you and Roger and maybe you can post some piccies when you gte him :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

We rescued a 15 month old black lab in November last year - we rescued him from an animal santuary in South Wales. He originally came from Southern Ireland and they think he was a gundog that didn't come up to scratch. So he was put in a kennel and just fed and watered - he didn't even know his own name :(

So we have now renamed him... Trevor! :lol: Everyone laughs when they hear his name but then they look at him and decide it suits him!!

He apparently was 'too much dog' to cope with - but all he really wanted was to be loved. He loves his cuddles and just wants to be as close as possible.

He's made a huge difference to our lives already...

I will get round to putting a photo on soon!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Charlie

Hi We Adopted a yellow lab called Charlie from our local dogs home 1 month before Christmas last year he was 12 months old on new years day this year we had been looking for another dog for a few months after our Alsatian rotty cross died well we had to have him put to sleep after 13yrs, we took him to the vets as he kept collapsing the vet said he had got congenital hart failier and the best thing would be to put him to sleep. My partner has always wanted a lab so when we saw Charlie we were pretty much sold his previous owners were moving to a smaller house and he was microchiped and had had all of his injections he is a lovely dog very loving to much sometimes we are considering getting another lab sometime this year

We must be mad :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
758 Posts
We'd talked about getting a dog for a couple of years, but couldn't due to work, so as soon as a change of job made it possible we started looking round rescue centres, as we'd already decided we weren't able to commit to the needs of a puppy. A friend told us about Lab Rescue, so we signed up, as we knew and liked the breed, and felt we had enough space and energy to look after one properly.

We 'rescued' Rosie in October, I use the word loosely as she hadn't been ill-treated, she was just a bit too much labrador for her 60+ year old owners, who bought her and a sister from the same litter together. Rosie being the more bouncy and boisterous of the two was the one they gave away, but she was fostered by a lovely lab-loving couple who have been very helpful and supportive, as have the Lab Rescue Trust. She was the first dog we met, and it was love at first sight.

Rosie is now nearly 1, and is a little ray of chocolate sunshine in our lives, she's so happy and affectionate, and I can honestly say we hardly watch any tv since we've had live entertainment on tap! I've also lost half a stone from the exercise and find it much easier getting up in the mornings.

We're already talking about getting another dog in the future, although we'd have to move house to have the space, but I'd love to help out lab rescue, perhaps by fostering ourselves.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Most people know about Max's story as I spend my life on the forums.

We rescued Max in August last year he is 3 years old and black. His previous owners had done a moonlight flit from the rented property they lived in and left Max behind. He was taken to a local rescue centre because of his barking, well wouldn't you left on your own for god knows how long! We had just lost our previous rescue (collie) to cancer and I had too big a hole in my life. He was the 4th dog I saw but it was love at first sight when he sat and gave me his paw. little did I know at that point that Sit, paw and being house-trained was all he knew. It has taken a lot of patience to get where we are now. We are in the process of starting 1-2-1 training to banish the steam train in him.

I wouldn't swap him for the world he is the light at the end of a bad day.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
All these stories are fantastic and bring a tear to my eye. :cry:

When our chidren are a bit older we would love to give a forever home to a lab, Majic would love it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bess family member

Try again, just wrote a post but it disappeared on me! I had Bess last summer, looking back i was still grieving over losing my terrier X breed and i wanted a replacement. This huge black jumping hysterically, crying and licking creature (14 mths) i met at the home of the family who wanted to re-home her didn't faze me. I just thought she was wonderful, i did start to lose a little bit of the shine when she chased my cats out of the house, jumped on the sofa, didn't listen to any commands i gave her, wouldn't eat and pulled my arms out during walks.

I persevered, took her out with my dads yellow lab who is placid, tried to keep calm when she ran off and left me stood there like a plank calling her name. She chased the swans in the river - yes swam after them! Now 7 mths later, she comes back when called, acts reasonable, walks to heel, ignores swans (buts still likes canada geese and pheasants) sniffs the cats but backs off when they hiss.

She is totally and utterly different to my old Max, but a doggy person in her own right. She's nosey, bright, friendly, greedy for human food (strict on that) and soo cuddly and loveable, I wouldnt be without her, despite some moments when i downright hated her during her training.

She's also hogs the chairs - something i wouldn't have let poor Max do in his time!

·
Registered
59 Posts
We rescued Benny who is now 10 months in December. He had been with a family with 3 children and they couldn't cope with him anymore because he chewed and dug holes in their lawn!!

We had just lost two of our labs in the space of 5 days one to old age and her pup (aged 10) to leukemia.

This left us with Barney aged 6 months who constantly looked for the other two dogs.

The two are now inseparable and Benny has started to forget about the time spent in kennels and the rough start he had.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I may have told this story already. We often thought it might be nice to have a dog but never really planned to get one, but fate decided for us.
We live on the edge of Cannock Chase. One very wet afternoon last July we decided to don our coats and brave their elements and take a walk. Shortly after setting off we saw a bedraggled, sad looking young yellow lab sitting under a tree and sheltering from the rain. He followed us for about 20 minutes and we thought he was lost, until some mountain bikers rode past and he set off after them at a pace. We thought they must have been his owners, continued out walk for another hour or so and then went home. We didn't see him again.
Shortly after getting home I took some rubbish to the bin on our front drive. When I turned round the sad looking chap was sitting and looking up at me. Then he just followed me into the house and made himself at home. Not so much as a "by your leave". We called the police to report him and they suggested we take him into their pound where he would be left alone all night before being sent to the pound. (I have since heard that dogs which get taken to this particular pound have just seven days before being destroyed). I confess that we did load the young lad into the back of the car (we didn't know it would have been a death sentence for him at this stage) but, ten minutes down the road, decided that we just couldn't think of him being alone all night. So he came home and shared our Sunday roast. We reported him to all kinds of pet search organisations, advertised in papers and called several police stations next day. Eventually the police recognised him and told us that he had a record and was definitely abandoned.
So, in short, we decided to keep him. he then decided to get really ill the next week and we thought he would leave our lives as suddenly as he entered it but after many sleepless nights nursing him he made a full recovery.
He is such a well behaved, lovable little boy that I just can't believe that anyone would abandon him. (By two owners, according to the police).
But now he has a really loving home. He has changed the lives of myself and my wife enormously. But we love him, are obsessed with him and think he about the best thing that has happened to us (apart from each other, of course - we don't have children).
I am so glad we made that one decision to turn the car around en route to the police station. Hector will never know how close to the end he came !

·
Registered
468 Posts
My OH, Rob, and I have always wanted a dog and had been talking about it more since i left work to set up my own business from home and was around all day.

The decision on which breed we wanted was easy, i grew up with a black lab and Robs sister has a choccie lab that lived with us for a while.

Also, after a discussion, it was pretty easy to come to the conclusion to re-home a dog instead of getting a puppy. The reason for this is that we thought that pups don't find it hard to get a new home, they're so adoreable and so many people are willing to give them a home, but sometimes these homes arn't the homes that are suited to the dogs.... whether that be because labs can be a handful, the owner didn't treat the dog right or the kids have an allergic reaction to the dog.... We wanted to give a loving home to a dog that had not had the best start in life....

I had a chat with the local lab welfare and filled out the forms, sent them through the post on Thursday and come Friday had a call from them about Oscar.... we were told he was a 10 month old choccie lab and was in the kennels near us. Had been there for 6 weeks! his previous owners had a black and a yellow lab and wanted a choccie one so they had one of each.. they say he was trying to dominate the other two dogs and he was distructive so they kept Oscar in the garage and the other two dogs slept in the house! I went to see Oscar at the Kennels that same friday and fell for him straight away.... Rob was at work and couldn't come to see him but once i got back from the kennels i made the call to the welfare to say i'll take him, i knew rob would love him..... By Monday we had had our home check and Oscar was settling in to his new home.... It turned out he was 14 months old too.... and while he was in the kennels the police took him for a short while for sniffer dog training but it turned out he was useless!!!

and 5 days later we wouldn't be without..... yes we've had him to the vets 3 times and it's cost a little fortune, all the trips arn't covered on the insurance because you can't claim within the first 14 days, but we don't care.... we'd pay anything to make sure he was well.......

He settled in so well, loves his cuddles and he's so not distructive!! i find it so hard to believe that his last owners didn't want him....

Because we got him from the welfare we are on a 2 week trial and they'll be calling me next week to see if i want to keep him or not..... this decision will also be an easy one....

this boy isn't leaving us now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts