Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything about us is perfect (well almost perfect) ...we have fun at home and cuddle and pet....being a homemaker i devote most of my time towards him...

Every evening i take him to the garden AND thereafter my frodo in NO longer my frodo 8O ... he eats mud, pick up stones and keeps running (wish i cud take him to the Olympics) at pace i cannot keep...I'm lucky that i have the security guards who always catch him and i cud take the stones off him mouth and give him a Verbal NO at times followed by a gentle spank....

But off lately after all this mischief HE DOES NOT WANT TO GO HOME... i have to pull him...drag him to take him home..This disturbs me i wonder does he not like it there...however i somehow manage to drag him home and onece hez home ..... hez the happy frodo....

DOES HE HAVE SPLIT PERSONALITY coz HE HATES COMING BACK HOME...????? unfortunatelty we do not animal therapist here else wud have gone couselling... can anyone help me in understanding frodo :cry:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds like he thinks it's a great game to run away and have you chase him - he probably imagines you like it too! And wey hey, all the security guards want to join in too! What fun! Think about it from his point of view - being caught is the end of the fun and means he gets spanked or dragged into the house. You need to make it much more rewarding to come back to you than it is to run away. Are there any special treats he likes? Or toys? Use those to make yourself more interesting than the garden. Practice calling him to you in the house or start using a whistle - see the other thread on whistles - http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-978.html
and whenever he comes, give him his treat or a toy, every time. Never scold him when he comes back to you or you manage to catch him, even if he's been running around disobediently for ages, as that will just make him think coming back gets him punished. Dogs don't respond well to being hit, even if it's not hard - it will just make him afraid of your hands.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankl you swillsy... I went thru the whistle article i'm willing to just try anything...i'm feeling awful at this moment as this evening i did hit him :cry: i just lost my cool coz frodo was being impossible and he had spectators watching our circus charade. :cry: i'm not talking to him now...just thinking what to do... should i just forget what happened today and cuddle with him cry and tell him sorry coz that what my heart wants :cry: i feel miserable..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Definitely give him a cuddle and forget the disobedience today - he won't have a clue as to why you're cross and is probably feeling a bit insecure. For him the running around outside is a distant memory and he won't connect it with you being angry with him. I read once that you have a maximum of 3 seconds after any behaviour to give any reward or verbal correction (not hitting) otherwise the dog won't link the two. This is where training with a clicker is so helpful - it bridges the gap between him doing what you want and the time it takes you to give him the reward.

I would use the time between now and when he next goes into the garden to think of a new strategy. Think positive and look for things to reward. Tell yourself you are not going to get cross. Encourage him to play with you, and toss him the odd treat when he comes near you. If he even looks at you, praise and toss a treat. Keep your voice light and cheery. If he runs off, don't let anyone chase him, just stand still. You could also (if you don't feel too embarrassed!) do things to make him come over, like pretend to find something fascinating on the ground, or play with his toys yourself and ignore him. As soon as he comes near you, praise and treat him. This way you are teaching him that coming to you = good things, and running away = boring.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swilly i cannot express my gratitude for your advise.... This morning i was playing with frodo at home...Things are just about normal BUT i do not have the confidence to take him out....cud not sleep last nite mentally preparing myself not to lose my cool on him.

From tommorrow we wud start his heel training wherein he wub be thought to walk by our side using treats...

Once again thanx......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts