Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

frodo has stopped having his royal cannin completley...No trick seems 2 be working (milk, hand feeding, warm water)... Hes been kept hungry for 3 meals consecutive but still will not eat his food :( .....

The maxium he will eat with my whole family sitting with him is 125 gms for dinner...We all have to sit and praise him and then he'll eat ..its a big favour on us...thanks frodo...

I really cannot be harsh and still pester him to eat omething he hates....I've tried other dog foods in VAIN :(

I'm now looking at other options that i can feed him.....we are vegetarians at home....What can i feed him....

He loves Milk, Rice, Yoghurt, Spinach, Bread.... I just wonder what nutition does he get from this... what are the other veggies that i can add to his diet.... I'm off to the vets for some supplements....My vet says i need to keep him hungry for 2-3 days :cry: i cannot do that.....

Need advise....

Thanks

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
hello vidhya

I havethree pedigree labs and I think that all of them at one stage or another have had feeding problems, I heard about the fifiteen minute rule and gave it a try... put bowl down for 15 minutes, then lift it, dont offer anything else including treats, then do the same at the next meal. Dont be worried if the dog or puppy goes without for 2 days, if it is healthy it will be eating with vigour hopefully after that. dogs can be stubborn, but YOU can and should be more stubborner. DO NOT LET the dog rule your life, you are the pack leader. :)

My dogs all, since I instigated this rule now all eat with vigour, and what I give them. :lol:

If this fails, which I hope, doesnt, a more natural diet should not do the dog any harm, but follow the 15 minute rule :?

Let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks collete but wondering whoz the PACK LEADER :oops: .....Its just so hard to keep him hungry for 2 days.... :cry: i just cannot eat if he'z not eating :cry: .....

What can i give him natural food....

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
just ignore him!!

What a same problem with me...but my problem is keep pestering me for about 4 months already. At first i also cant bear to see and let him starve for 1 to 2 meals,so i tried to changed another dry food..hand feeding..trick him..praise him..mixed any human food that can attract him to eat and even BEAT HIM(because me is very tired)....BUT there are not effective at all....Untill last week,i found that i have to stand for his challenge. Labrador is a very smart animal...they knows u love him,he knows if he wont eat u will try anyway to make him eat. So my experience told me that DONT TOO WORRIED about if he missed a meal or 2 meals or 3 meals or 2 days ,keep it up the food if he doesn't finished within half an hour or shorted.Then bring him to jogging for about 45mins,he will eat eventually.He will know u NEVER give anything besides the dog food. And now,my austin eat at last...what a beautiful challenge that i won!! Besides the dog food i also give my austin the supplement as below,

Beaphard multi-vitamin tablets
Hartz joint maintenance regimen
Vetzyme garlic health supplement
nutri-stat high calories supplement(This can maintain his energy if he is doesn't finish his food)
Milk which is for dog used 1.(only after his meals just give)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts