Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Now i know our labs are probably the most docile, loving and adorable companions who wouldn't harm a flea, but i have a question..

Has anyone trained their lab to protect them or a loved one if the situation called for it?

We have a black labrador, and i know some people are scared of black dogs anyway, especially when fully grown anyway (or so i have been told) but is there a command you could teach them to scare of unwanted attention?

The only reason i ask, is that we are travelling around europe at the moment in our motorhome, and sometimes the places we stay are quiet spots, areas in which we 'wild camp', i.e.not campsites, and sometimes you get the odd dodgy person hanging around.

We got a lab as we love their personalities for being so gentle, but is there any way you could train a certain command? Would it be instinctual for them to protect their owners if the situation called for it?

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paddylab, 8)

Thanks for the advice, i agree, it would be wrong to train them to be aggressive. Lol - when we leave Bradley in the motorhome, and come back, we have tried to make lots of noise when opening the door just to see what he would do (if someone broke in for example) but he just raised one eyelid and came and licked us!

I think if the situation called for it, he would definately try to protect us , i have been out on walks with him on several occasions, when he has eyed up a certain person, and either barked or stared for ages. I suppose this could be because they look strange to them or something, i have heard some labs dislike beards, hats, or anything unusual..lol. :lol:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our Labs are definitely smarter and can pick out the good folks from the bad.

Hi Labman57,

Thanks for the advice, i definately agree with you. I think our labs are such softies at heart, but would do anything to protect us if the situation called for it. It's good to know we have such loyal, trustworthy & protective companions by our side. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts