Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Now i know our labs are probably the most docile, loving and adorable companions who wouldn't harm a flea, but i have a question..

Has anyone trained their lab to protect them or a loved one if the situation called for it?

We have a black labrador, and i know some people are scared of black dogs anyway, especially when fully grown anyway (or so i have been told) but is there a command you could teach them to scare of unwanted attention?

The only reason i ask, is that we are travelling around europe at the moment in our motorhome, and sometimes the places we stay are quiet spots, areas in which we 'wild camp', i.e.not campsites, and sometimes you get the odd dodgy person hanging around.

We got a lab as we love their personalities for being so gentle, but is there any way you could train a certain command? Would it be instinctual for them to protect their owners if the situation called for it?

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think it would be wrong to train a lab to be aggressive, it really isn't in their nature.
They could be encouraged to bark in certain situations, but even that could be an annoyance if not properly controlled.
However, they may naturally protect their "pack" if they felt threatened enough.
That's my experience anyway, I'm sure others may have a differing opinion.
BN

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paddylab, 8)

Thanks for the advice, i agree, it would be wrong to train them to be aggressive. Lol - when we leave Bradley in the motorhome, and come back, we have tried to make lots of noise when opening the door just to see what he would do (if someone broke in for example) but he just raised one eyelid and came and licked us!

I think if the situation called for it, he would definately try to protect us , i have been out on walks with him on several occasions, when he has eyed up a certain person, and either barked or stared for ages. I suppose this could be because they look strange to them or something, i have heard some labs dislike beards, hats, or anything unusual..lol. :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't know how right or true this is, but i have always thought that dogs have an extra sence than humans. I think they sence danger before we do! I agree that if felt threatened the dog would probably protect.

I have been wondering about this topic myself lately. Yasmin is trained by the guide dogs, so I'm not actually sure if she'll be taught to protect or not!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree that dogs sense most things before humans, Paddy stands by the front door waiting for my daughter to come in even before she's off the bus, regardless of differing times of day etc. it's uncanny.

They also sense danger or threats much sooner, however I have never heard of any lab being used as a guard dog.
My brother has one that will fight with any other dog (except labs)
he doesn,t know why he does this, but he got the dog as an adult so who knows what happened to the poor thing before that?

My Paddy doesn't bark or growl much except in play, I think he would probably hold a burglars "swag bag" open to be filled, he may even "fetch" the telly to save the burglar from having to move too much. :twisted:
BN

·
Registered
129 Posts
the reason most people buy labradors is because there very friendly and not aggressive as people have said they will bark if there hear people but sadly there not attack dogs or guard dogs if i burgular broke him hope this dosnt happen all labradors do is lick them to death lol
anyway enjoy your motorhome hoilday and i hope everything goes ok
:p :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
You might be surprised at how protective your Lab can get if they sense danger when you are with them. On the other lab forum i belong to some of the members have posted that their dogs have gotten between them and a stranger at night while out walking or just being outside in the yard. We had a Springer that would come running if the wife called "Toby, help!" and I made a slapping noise. He would take my hand in his mouth but never did bite. Now if it had been a stranger I think he would have protected the wife. Nowadays it is my little Border Collie that will rip someone a new one if they happen to get into our house. Our Labs are definitely smarter and can pick out the good folks from the bad. 8)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our Labs are definitely smarter and can pick out the good folks from the bad.

Hi Labman57,

Thanks for the advice, i definately agree with you. I think our labs are such softies at heart, but would do anything to protect us if the situation called for it. It's good to know we have such loyal, trustworthy & protective companions by our side. :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not sure if I posted this elsewhere but my last lab learnt to bark at strangers from an older dog (that to be honest barked at anyone)

Zara would bark at strangers approaching the house and occassionally outside if she too a dislike to someone (very rare). She would bark - out of excitement rather than aggression - if a situation arose when out and about that had the potential to become aggressive.

At 14 I found myslf in a scrap with a school bully who came round to my house one night specifically for a fight. As I was teaching him a leson in the front garden my brother let the dog out. She made a lot of noise and scared my attacker but ended up play fighting with me rather than the kid I was twatting !

We could always get her to bark on command ("kill" or "see em off")and bounce a few feet forward looking brave, but when it came to the crunch it wasn't in her nature to stand her ground and fight/guard or protect any more than that.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you're in the UK please be careful that you don't fall foul of the overzealous Dangerous Dogs Act - even barking at someone can be perceived as a threat. We also have have very strict laws on guard dogs here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will go to court any day of the week on these matters.

I despise the nanny state we are creating where decent people can't stand up for themselves or help protect others for fear of being prosecuted by societal scum crying foul.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't disagree with you - just warning people to be cautious, the DDA is weighted heavily against dogs. I know one dog that only recently has been ordered to be kept on a lead at all times for barking at a passing postman.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Labradors are not really protective dogs. Having said that, our dog, Guinness and our oldest bitch, Bonnie, will protect our family. They have never been taught it. Even if someone comes and pretends to hurt someone in the family, they will come and intervene.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey I just want to remind you that checking if your dog barks when you make alot of noise at the door isn't really a predictor of what they would do with a stranger. I have a lab pup right now but before I had two other dogs and they knew my car from up to a block away. I was told they actually can distinguish one car from another by the noise. Also I promise you she can smell you and know it's you once you are near the house. I once saw a documentary I think it was on discovery. They were showing all these interesting things about dogs and cats. They were showing how they could actually train dogs to smell cancer. They would lay a person down and the dog could not only tell they had cancer by smell but where also. On that same show they had a dog that could tell when it's owner was coming home. It was kind of freaky... they followed the owner with a camera and then had a camera on the dog at home. The owner was not told by the crew when they would be going home. Then at some point in the night the crew would say let's go home. They stated that the dog knew the minute the owner was coming home and would stand by the door until she got there. They were offering the explaination of a possible sixth sense. I don't know if i believe that but I definitely believe they can smell you much farther away than you realize. Ask your vet.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Never train your Labrador to protect. the DDA covers all dogs, A barking dog is perceived as a threat if not on a lead or under full control of the owner. the DDA covers perceived threats not just biting. Please read the law, for your dogs safety if not for your own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts