Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks sore, but he does/nt mind me touching them. I notice it about 2 weeks ago.

So far its only on is back paws. As it is not bothering him, i don/t really want to take him to a vet. He has got a really bad skin problem, all over his body.

What do you think?.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Is it actually sores or is it pigmentation changes, hard to tell from the pics.

If its pigmentation I would guess it is linked to his current skin condition, looks sore even if it isn't :(

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is another part of his skin condition, as it is dry and flaky.

Any idea of what i can put on it?.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Poor Sultan! I hope his skin sorts itself out soon. Maybe vaseline would help?Is he one who'll lick stuff off or ignore?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He would lick anything i put on it. I/ve even tryed putting cream on them, and then put babies socks on him. But he licks and makes the soaks very wet. Which i thnk is worse.

I am trying to hang off going to the vets. I know he will put him on more sterolds. But it looks like i have got to give in, as he is getting worse, and i am worrying more and more about him.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
My late Roly suffered terribly from allergies and was on steroids injections (now and again when it was worst ie the summer) and anti-hestimmaines, so you have my sympathies :?

Have you thought that maybe something he is walking on may be causing this, I had Roly allergy tested and she was allergic to most things but the periodic injections and tablets really helped :?

A switch to not walking so much on tarmac and getting laminate flooring helped, any carpets really flared the allergies up :(

Poor Sultan, the poor boy is not having it easy, so sending some {{{{{{{{healing and soothing vibes}}}}}}}}}}

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Apparently, speaking to my Homeopath, she recommends Calendula cream on the skin, and to stop them from licking it apply Vicks vapour rub (or similar) AROUND the wound (Not on it), this prevents your dog from licking it, she also said apply a very small amount (tiny) on the end of the dogs nose, they will lick it, get an awful taste and this is what puts them off licking the foot

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Ouch that does look sore! Vaseline I guess, if it's dry. (I have a skin condition myself which I get prescribed steroids for, and I swear by vaseline. But if it's too greasy you can get an ointment called Hydromol, which is parrafin based like Vaseline but it isn't at all greasy.) I used it on Rosie when she kept licking her spay wound and made it all chapped and sore and it did wonders - and she didn't lick it off! You can get it from the pharmacy just be sure you get the ointment, and not the cream.

Good luck; let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
could it have been caused by walking on a recently cleaned floor - that had been cleaned with detergent that was mixed a bit too strong? "Flash" for example could cause something like that?

I would keep it aired rather than wrapped up.

not sure what I would put on it as I know my lot would just lick it off (I like the tip about vicks - will try that next time!!)

I think I would be inclined to get some arnica homeopathy pills so you know something is going internally to hopefully assist with the problem.

Aloe vera gel is very good for skin problems too.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
could it have been caused by walking on a recently cleaned floor - that had been cleaned with detergent that was mixed a bit too strong? "Flash" for example could cause something like that?
What a good excuse not to mop floors! I knew there was a reason I gave up keeping the tiles clean in Belgium! (That or the fact it was impossible with a mud-loving lunatic!)

Let me know if you'd like any of these remedies posting out to you. I hope that the weather changes soon down there so that Sultan has a chance to bounce back. Is he suffering or being a brave bouncy boy?

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Gosh Julie - poor Sultan! He is having it rough isn't he? One thing after another!

Hope you get it sorted - and I love the tip about Vicks! I have a man with two shaved front legs and a shaved back leg, all of which he keeps licking and is licking the Calendula cream I bought off - I am sure Dad has some Vicks somewhere......

Eve Neo and Hopalong

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me know if you'd like any of these remedies posting out to you. I hope that the weather changes soon down there so that Sultan has a chance to bounce back. Is he suffering or being a brave bouncy boy?[/quote]

Thanks everyone. Will look up the remedies, and try to get them out here. Also, i will clean my tiled flooring with just hot water.

I never thought of the cleaners of i have been using. I will see how that works for the next week or so.

Bypark, Sherry is sending out, Camrosa cream, Which after looking at some of the dog skin conditions on there wed site. Sultan looks to have the same. I hope that will arrive soon.

The weather is cooling down, which i am sure this will help.

He is not jumping around at the moment. After bum tucking around the other day. He fell hard on his hip, and has been limping ever since, and feeling very sorry for himself. (He is on pain killers for that).

They are such a worry. :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
They sure are Julie.....

Hope lovely Sultan is feeling better soon.

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I will second the possibility of it being a cleaning product.

Basil used to get something similar looking after his kennel stays when we were abroad - for him it was usually just around the nail bed though.
I put it down to strong floor cleaner, though in the heat germs just spread easier too.

I used to just bathe it in salt water to keep it clean, then dry it and let the air get to it. A couple of times it went weepy and the vet had to give AB's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts