Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my dog had his teeth cleaned, and I was given an anti-biotic course to give him 3 days before and 7 days after the operation. Unfortunately, this didn't clear the characteristic dark redness around the tooth roots which I assume is Gingivitis. Has anyone else had experience of this? Did the redness disappear after antibiotics & cleaning? Is Gingivitis always caused by a bacterial infection? I still suspect a fungus, but the vet thinks this unlikely.

Unfortunately, licking is starting to make his body smell again. An anti fungal shampoo only temporarily removed the smell.

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Gingivitis means inflammation of the gingiva, (Gums) for whatever reason. Usually what happens is the teeth develop plaque and the plaque pushes the gum back allowing the infection in.

In fact dogs might get a bit of plaque build up, but with a half way reasonable diet rarely get much problems with their teeth. I guess part of that is that a dog's teeth only have to last around 13 to 16 years, where our teeth have to last 75 to 100 years! In all my years I've only had one dog who developed bad teeth, and that was Anna, and with her you could literally stand and watch her teeth rotting away! The reason? I'm guessing she had poor, or non existent enamel, so nothing to protect her teeth. None of my other dogs ever lost a single tooth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the persistence of the inflammation which is confusing. Would the antibiotics have got rid of this if it was bacteria?

This is why I think it may be something else which he's spreading onto his underside making him smell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts