Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 month old fox red lab, Mia, who is getting to realise that she is stronger than me when on a walk. We had Mia at 4 months old from a breeder who had bred her to work but she wasn’t keeping up with her training so he lost interest in her. In this time the only training she had actually had was to fetch so everything else was completely new to her - she hadn’t even been on a lead in this time.To start with she was quite nervous on a walk so she tended to stick by me most of the way which I stupidly didn’t reinforce as she just did it. Now she’s really confident on a walk and is so reactive to other dogs that she will lunge towards them to unbalance me and then just pull ahead until I catch my balance and stop her. If I can get her to sit before she sees the other dogs then generally I can remain in control but this morning we met an older couple with quite a nasty terrier and German sherpard. They didn’t want to pass as it was on a small footpath so they doubled back a few steps so that I could pass them on the road at the end of the path but I just could not get Mia to focus on me again and in our struggle she went between my legs and got free. Luckily the chap kept the terrier well out of it and the gs was fairly okay with her running up wanting to be friends but it could have been so much worse. We are working a lot on her training but in the meantime I feel like I need to walk her with something that gives me a bit more control. The lady with the gs this morning recommended a halti but having never used one I’m not entirely sure if that’s going to be for the best with Mia. I currently walk her in a standard harness which is fine unless she has another episode like today. My boyfriend can hold her in it fine but I tend to be the one that walks her and I’m a bit worried about ending up with another situation like today. Sorry for the ramble but if anyone can offer any advice I would be so grateful!

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
Personally I never use a harness for several reasons, not least being that the harness passing in front of the shoulders can cause injury.

I just use a gundog slip lead. But for a dog pulling probably a figure 8 lead is as good as anything. You can use it as a figure 8 when pulling or as an ordinary slip lead when he is not.

https://www.gundog-solutions.co.uk/product/figure-of-8-slip-lead

John :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts