Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of being dragged around by my ickle puppy, I was giving up hope of enjoying walks and was worried that I wouldn't be able to hold Scooby back when he got bigger.

I tried the method that the trainer taught me but it all went out the window when we got out on the footpath - Scooby wouldn't even listen. It was nose down and sniiiiiiiffff and puuuuuulllll and draaaaggggg to the person across the road :x

Anyway I felt a failure and succombed to the Halti. I was a bit dubious but IT WORKS. He didn't like it at first and tried to paw it off and has tried to do roly-polys on the grass to get it off! but now he walks b my side and doesn't even attempt to pull, even when we were 'mugged' by 4 loose chocolate labs that had been swimming in the river!

Just thought I would let everyone know my experience. I actually looked forward to taking him out today :p

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi tracey,
glad to hear that you are enjoying your walks now. i had the same problems with max so started to use the halti about 4 months ago. he hated it to start but has now got used to it and as soon as he see's it will stick his nose in the air ready for me to slip on :D he now walks as good as gold so we both enjoy the walks

jane and max

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
We still use a halti on Shadow - at first he hated it (probably because it gave us more control!) but after getting him used to it, he's now happy as larry with it. The only (slight) downside is that the un-educated think that it is a muzzle and think that he's vicious. I think we would have had severely dislocated shoulders if someone hadn't mentioned using the halti to us :lol:

Cheers,

Paul & Shadow

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi paul,
know what you mean about people thinking its a muzzle. its normally the non doggy people that make comments. as i suffer with a pretty bad back the halti is wonderfull as it gives me control over a very strong young man :lol: as i said at first he hated it but now he is fine with it . he knows no halti no walk :( he still paws it a little when it first goes on but once the lead is attatched he's raring to go.

jane and max

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
This is something we have been considering for the Smudgester! He is currently on a harness, which is definitely a vast improvement on just collar/lead.

Can anyone recommend any good brands etc for Halti's?

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi

You can buy Halti's from www.canineconcepts.co.uk

I ordered a Gentle Leader ( similar to a Halti) from there on Tuesday night and it arrived today I was well impressed lol.

I can't believe the differance when using the Gentle Leader after months of being dragged everywhere by Buster lol. It was a bit of a fiasco putting it on him cos of the piece that goes over the nose :) and trying to read the instructions and adjust the collar at the same time (at one point Buster ran way with the instructions lol ) but we got there in the end.

Anyway I tried it out and I couldnt believe that Buster was walking to heel I only took him for short walk then took it off him.

I took him for a walk this evening and I had to go round twice because we had done our usual walk in half the time lol. Mainly because Buster's head was up and he was looking where he was going, ( not surfing the floor for chewing gum :? )and walking in a straight line. Be warned though! lol he can still jump up people and it's worse now because they think he has a muzzle on :shock:. He didn't like wearing it much and tried to get the nose piece off a few times, I took some treats with me and gave them to him when it was bothering him.Also gave him treats for being such a good dog lol

Kev

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi nicola,
after max had managed to bite the first proper halti in half (my fault not his) i ordered a "training harness" from one of our links DOGHAUS. when it came it is almost the same as the "halti" but it is a lot cheaper. i can definitly recomend them. hope this helps.

jane and max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts