Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I shared a competition write-up but today was great so I thought I would! Luna is doing what she fancies when it comes to agility, she doesn't need to train anymore... she loves the space and low jump height of BAA shows so is generally 'up for fun'! Tucker and I are going to training classes now most weeks and our confidence when competing is improving with each show! :)

Luna was up first today which is how she likes it - she hates Tucker having some agility action before her! She went clear around the Veteran Jumping course and was just incredibly 'up for it'! and won :)

Tucker then came out to play on the Novice Plus Jumping course and was loonier than Loony!!! Mr 'I like to stay pretty velcro'd to you' just blasted off in the direction he wanted to take around the course completely ignoring my directions! Faster than a speeding bullet he was! I tried a few commands inbetween hysterical laughter and we made it to the end! I really can't express how BRILLIANT it was to see him just going for it at top speed! If he had been vaguely controllable I'm sure he would've won the class! I would've been quite happy to finish the day there with a huge grin on my face! He had so much fun!!! Another winning run!

Then Tucker attacked the Primary Agility course, a little bit cautious over the dog walk and see-saw but he completed them well and on first attempt. Hitting the contacts fine as usual (fingers crossed)! We've promised each other we'll get the weave poles out in the garden so we can practise him getting the weave entry right now without me. I messed up by not commanding him between the penultimate and final jump so we were E'd but another winning run in our eyes! ;-)

Luna came out for the next 2 runs Veteran Agility and Veteran Agility 2. The same course twice, she kept me on my toes by deciding to switch randomly between running fast and running superfast! She hit her contacts, I got commands in just about right and she won herself a 2nd and 1st place.

After a lunch break Tucker came out for his final 2 runs - Primary Agility 2 was almost perfect but he missed the tunnel entry near the end - going too fast off a line of jumps! 5R - 5 faults for refusal - led to an 8th place finish. Dog walk and see-saw were completed with confidence this time! Another win! ;-)

We went straight in for the Novice Plus Clockwork Tunnels run which was pretty handley, I had to switch sides, call him in, send him out and generally give lots of direction. He listened perfectly, he did perfectly and I couldn't be more proud of him! He finished 4th with a clear round, just outside of the rosettes. It is the best result I have ever achieved with either dog as Tucker is now competing with and alongside the best dogs that attend the shows and this was the kind of course which would've kerflummoxed him not long back :) :) Luna is slowly watching her apprentice take over the training of me...

Luna finished off the day with a noisy Veteran Clockwork Tunnels run complaining she was hungry... hadn't had enough treats.... was being told where to go when she knew... and various other complaints! She was clear and 1st again.

Spending time having fun with my duo is always great - today was the best overall day I can remember for a long time. The whole experience for both of them was fun-filled and worry-free :D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
What an uplifting post to read. Well done to your fantastic duo. I keep telling myself that I need to go to watch an agility show. Reading your post does make the experience sound fun. I'm pleased you had such a special day.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Brilliant. Your posts give me the confidence to try more training with Willoughby. If it wasn't for reading about how well Luna does I would have given up even thinking we could attempt anything other than gentle plods around the park. Well done, love the picture. :D

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Sounds like lots of fun for you all :D Well done !

Laura - was this a fun agility competition or a serious stuff ? You have made it sound very relaxed and enjoyable !

I wouldn't mind trying something similar with Bella as she is doing so well in lessons but want something relaxed and fun, rather than high end serious competition.

Chloe

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Well done, it is lovely that Luna can still do her bit and great that Tucker is now doing so well. Where were you competing? I think our club had some members at Wilmslow yesterday whilst we were at the flyball (theirs could have been KC agility though).

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rubyrubyruby said:
Sounds like lots of fun for you all :D Well done !

Laura - was this a fun agility competition or a serious stuff ? You have made it sound very relaxed and enjoyable !

I wouldn't mind trying something similar with Bella as she is doing so well in lessons but want something relaxed and fun, rather than high end serious competition.

Chloe
This was a BAA show organised by T&A Dog Training Club held over near March, Cambs. Here is the show diary link to similar shows for Bella :) http://baa.uk.net/shows.html

Definitely fun agility competing, relaxed and enjoyable! The BAA is aimed at PET dogs which my 2 definitely are :) Some dogs are of world class standard like Luna obviously is ;-) and other dogs are in it for the hugs and kisses given around the rings like Tucker ;-) . Agility is full of agendas, politics and characters like all other areas of the dog world and life... the BAA shows suit us because Luna is allowed to compete much lower than she *should* due to her health problems and Tucker competes at Medium height which is lower than he *should* with other organisations. I don't want to jump him any higher because he is diddy, I don't know his full health history and he looks more comfortable jumping lower. 5ft stone walls and similar are only attacked very occasionally by gundogs rather than up to more than 60 times a day/session repetitively like at agility comps/training I figure... anyhow!

We have no aims to compete internationally, at Crufts, Olympia or any other 'prestige' event so pootling around well spaced courses in fenced rings with grins on our faces suits us!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts