Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a few of you know Lucan has suffered a lifetime of inflammatory disease, chronic airways inflammation, Inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis in hips and elbows. All this has mainly been well controlled with the use of a strict diet, painkillers and steroids in one form or another.
In the last 6 months, typical during lockdown, he hasn't been doing so great. He's had massive hairloss, rapid breathing even at rest, weight loss, episodes of weakness in his back legs and swollen belly. Eventually I managed to persuade his vet to see him in the flesh rather than a phone conversation and she took blood and urine samples for testing. First thoughts were Cushings due to his fairly large daily doses of prednisolone but the Lab results weren't quite what was expected. So yesterday he went in for x-rays and ultrasound. Basically my poor old boy is riddled in cancer. He has multiple tumours in both lungs, one on his spleen, lots of shadowing in his abdomen. His vet couldn't find a definite primary tumour but has suspicions it may be in his brain due to his history of multiple nightly, seizure like, violent dreams.
He's back home, we've upped his steroid dose to keep him happy for as long as possible, but I shall be having to make that awful decision in the not too distant future. :cry:

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Oh that’s very sad news. Thinking if you both xxx

Reactions: mandyb

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
So sorry to hear this, there are all the old cliches which may sound a bit twee, but you really have given him the best life you can, so make some more lovely memories with him while you can xx

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
I'm so sorry Mandy, all you can do is to keep him happy for as long as possible. Dogs dont know about cancer so they dont worry. We do that for them! xxx

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Sorry to hear this and echo what’s said above.
Good labs and good owners just somehow come together

good luck X

1 - 7 of 7 Posts