Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some recommendations for beginners gundog training books. Although I'm not going to participate in shoots, I think my Ben would benefit from some more involved training, he seems to have a high drive and a good nose. I would like to see how far I can train him and it will be fun for us both.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Although I'm not going to participate in shoots, I think my Ben would benefit from some more involved training
Could not agree more! Go for it and you will both have fun. Labradors were designed to retrieve so you are playing to his strong suit.

Trouble is, most books assume a certain amount of knowledge, which can make it difficult to understand if you dont know the terminology. (It can be a bit like a foreign language at first. For that reason I would recommend a video rather than a book in the first instance. As the saying goes, A picture is worth a hundred words. Certainly I would recommend "The Life Of A Gundog" by Mike Tallamy and Sara Gadd, but this is probably too comprehensive! 9 videos at £25 a time!! But film 2 might be a good starting point. John and Sandra Halstead's "Drakeshead Way" basic training would be a good choice. Have a look here. Labrador Retriever Training

As to going on training courses if you ever feel inclined, a word of warning. You need to be very careful. Some gundog people can be quite firm with their dogs. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou John, not even thinking about official training yet, I just want us to have a go together first, then see where it leads. Will have a look at the videos and probably bombard you with questions😉

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
If you're up North I'd be happy to join up for training exercises

1 - 5 of 5 Posts