Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whether anyone had a gundog plan for the forthcoming year? Things you'd like to do/achieve, plans for new dogs or breeding litters etc. Not necessarily calling them new years resolutions as for me they always get broken...

Now I risk a lot perhaps posting this here, setting myself up for a fall maybe, sharing plans publically when its no-one else's business, but I figured the support from you would outweigh any embarrassment for non-achievement, and you may even be able to help out in my ambitions? :wink: Anyway, here goes nothing, here's what I'd like to do/achieve in 2009 (some of which may seem pretty simple, but I really need to focus this year or opportunities will be lost):-

* Find a commited trainer and have regular 1-2-1 or small group training sessions with Jake
* Compete with Jake in working tests in the summer and score in each test element!
* Find a regular place on a local shoot for picking up next season
* Campaign Jake in the showring and qualify for Crufts next year in order to take our Show Gundog Working Certificate in December '09
* Run Jake in a Working Gundog Certificate
* Start gundog training with Millie and run her in at least the Gundog Club Grade 1 test before the end of the year

So... 8)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Good luck with that lot!

I am hoping to run Oak in some puppy working tests and get Tom and Sam to come with us and do some Novice Dog novice handler tests.

Run Fife in veteran tests.

Run Ash in some fun gundog stuff that he will enjoy.

Run Ash in agility competitions

Run Fife in veteran agility

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Not risking anything Rach... go for it and ignore anyone who says otherwise :D Good luck with it all, and hope to see you around some of those then.

I hope to get Meg out for another day or two before season finishes (or half a day). Working tests - we may fit in a Special puppy or two before her 2nd birthday IF she doesn't come into season first :roll: If not it will be NDNH and Novice. Then picking up next year, with a 'possible' litter being thought about. Oh, and doing some agility with my lad when I have a free weekend.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
My aims are to get Samps into a couple puppy working tests, and kiah and Norman in novice test and hoprfully do ok in those.

I'm hoping to have a litter from kiah later in the year not saying anything on stud dogs yet as have a couple in mind, and get shady out picking up more next season.

Oh and get married lol

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Go for it Rach.

Am sure you will suceed and wish you all the luck in the world.

The one thing I would love above all else is to qualify Aggi for Crufts 2010.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Gundog plans for 2009 :

With a few days holiday left over from my 2008 allowance I may just take myself along to the Springer Championships in early Jan. It’s at Belvoir Castle which isn’t too far from me.

Quite a few more days picking up and a few shooting before the end of the season.

Finally make a decision on a suitable stud dog for Lola.

The next stage really revolves around when Lola decides to come into season. She has only had two so far (and will be 3 yrs in Feb) so not the easiest to predict. Then we hopefully will be having a fairly serious working/trialling litter.

At some stage I will be running Lola in a few more Open working tests and with a bit of luck pick up some awards.

Late Summer will involve Lola getting back into shape and being put through a fairly strict training regime ready for the trialling season

I have no novice dogs next Summer. All of my dogs have been retired from competition other than Lola, so all the serious training will be focussed on her. Hopefully I’ll have a couple of pups from the litter to play around with though.

I’ve been asked to go on a couple of days walked up rabbit shooting during the Summer, but that will depend on Lola’s maternal duties as well as juggling family commitments.

Early shooting season I’ll do a few training days with Lola, as well as filling in loads of field trial nomination forms (as well as writing huge number of cheques for two quid!) in the hope of getting a run or two in Open trials, and maybe a couple of All-Aged.

Then if we can get some runs we go and try and make a Lola a FTCh! :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Well I'm looking at trying to find some sort of energy boosting pills for 2009 8O cos I'm not sure how I'm going to juggle all these dogs.

Firstly continue with Pepper and Boots training to enter Puppy Tests with them (and I have some serious competition from Boots breeder who pops round to see how we are getting on he has Boots litter sister).

Then there is getting Darcy back in shape after her litter and competing in Novice Working Tests. Ensuring that I can track down enough Field Trial Training Days to get Darcy out on prior to trying to get some early runs in Novice Field Trials (do you know I can't remember why I have to get out on early Field Trial runs but my trainer said I must and for once I am going to do what I am told :roll: . Actually on thinking about it I think it is because her steadiness is so good or something like that).

Oh and despite what I have said on another thread there could well be a little bitch pup who will need gundog training and showing :wink: :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well my aims are to run Oslo in open working tests and if that goes well, and after some more training days on game, I'll be seriously considering novice trials at the end of the year. 8O

I'll also be running young Rufus in puppy tests. And plenty of training classes in between of course. :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Well I'm joining the dark side and adding to the cocker conspiracy.

I also plan to breed Jura in a few weeks and maybe Tia later in the year.

I have a trial on Saturday, with Tia, which will be her first.

I also plan to do as many working tests and trial as possible this year.

All the best to everyone for 2009.

Ian

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
I'm pretty laid back about it all, as is my Ol' Gundog Zorro 8O I might dabble in making him up to a field champion this year, and possibly see about joining one of the Royal's shooting party :2gunfire: ("now you put that stick down NOW, young Ed!") as a picker-upper, but my main ambition is to get one of those natty little game-bags as it would be so very useful for keeping my hairbrush, mobile phone and lippy in when out and about.

Becs and The Gang

Oh, and lastly, I shall continue to promote heelwork to music as an integral element of gundog-tests.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I would like to be able to say with confidence and pride that I have a working Gundog :D
That I have learnt and therefore taught Jasper to do all the things a gundog should do.....and we are slowly getting there as he is now coming to me on the whistle 99% of the time and is retrieving outside :D :D :D
I would like to be a picker upper by next season but don't know if I am expecting too much of him and me.

Emma
XXX

PS: And I'm with Becs on the gamebags - my pockets cannot cope with all my bits and pieces (mobile, pass, chapstick,keys,dummy, balls, treats, baggies, tissues etc etc etc :lol: )

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I would like to be able to say with confidence and pride that I have a working Gundog :D
That I have learnt and therefore taught Jasper to do all the things a gundog should do.....and we are slowly getting there as he is now coming to me on the whistle 99% of the time and is retrieving outside :D :D :D
I would like to be a picker upper by next season but don't know if I am expecting too much of him and me.

Emma
XXX

PS: And I'm with Becs on the gamebags - my pockets cannot cope with all my bits and pieces (mobile, pass, chapstick,keys,dummy, balls, treats, baggies, tissues etc etc etc :lol: )

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
A retrieve, without a lap of the field to show the rest of the class how clever she is !!!!

She is very good when she has no audience, honest :D

Good luck with your plans Rach x

1 - 20 of 39 Posts