Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope its OK to put this in here, only its where those with the answer may see it and I'm hoping someone has the answer - its been puzzling me for a long time. :?

Labs, pointers, retrievers - various - and spaniels all basically work at the same 'job'. I know each has a specific function, but essentially they can all at some time or another have to go in water when working.
They all have water repellant coats, even goldies long coats are to a certain degree water repellant.
Why is it then that spaniels have soft, silky and VERY absorbent coats? 8O 8O . They become sodden and covered in everything in the water and undergowth, yet still have to be out there often in freezing conditions.

I've seen the dogs returning from one of our local shoots, labs all smart and comfy, poor little spaniels like shivery half drowned rats. :(

If there some purpose that I'm not aware of, I'd be grateful to know.

?

·
0 Posts
:lol: I have wondered the same thing about the Pood. Poodles are meant to be water dogs, yet she soaks it up like a sponge and retains the water much longer than Mojo, who never gets wet down to her skin. So I end up with a soggy shivering Pood whilst Mojo just shakes and is virtually dry.

·
Administrator
20,597 Posts
I think simply that spaniels traditional job is in the hedges, not in the water. We might use them for retrieving, and retrieving from water, but that was not their original job.

Regards, John

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
As John says spaniels are meant to hunt in the dense undergrowth and hedges and the labs are the retrievers either on land or the water. The hair on a spaniel is meant to protect them against thorns and the like. Whereas a Labrador Retrievers coat is like an Otter, short dense and waterproof. Going to Jules "Pood" they have the pom, poms, as I call them left on their joints to protect them when they are working and being in water.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies, I guess that explains it. If I was involved in breeding though, I think I'd start to try for a more water proof spaniel. :wink:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
FRE said:
Thanks for your replies, I guess that explains it. If I was involved in breeding though, I think I'd start to try for a more water proof spaniel. :wink:
You can always clip them, many working people do :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can always clip them, many working people do :lol: :lol:
I clip mine every year for the duck's.

Once done they have a coat like a lab,

But the bad thing is, their coat grows in twice as thick 8O

1 - 7 of 7 Posts