Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rufus is 4 months old and from gundog stock and I would really like to take up field work with him as soon as he is old enough. When would that be? Here is deepest Suffolk there is plenty of shooting but I would like some advice on what I can do now to prepare him for future training. How do I start? Any tips please?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
sorry, no idea re your question, but what a lovely handsome pup you have there!!! i just love choccys!!!

love jan and ruby xx

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I would locate a trainer local to you.... i think Natasha - contender is your area - maybe pm her?

Most of gundog work is about obiedence. So practice your on and off lead heel work, sits and stays etc. All this should put you in good stead for when he's ready for his first lessons :D

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Already some good advice so I'll just add a few more ideas - there are a couple of more books that makes great reading and can help you when you're starting out. One that I can recommend would be 'training retrievers', by Nigel Mann (can be pick up on Amazon for about £10).

Sam has already mentioned the sits and stays plus heel work then of course there is the recall and getting a whistle :lol: I'll be starting some grade 1 courses up soon and you're more than welcome to come along and see what it's all about :wink:

Natasha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts