Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience of breeding their dam with Guide Dogs? I'm thinking of this and my girl has been accepted by guide dogs. Will I experience any issues with selling puppies from the litter (those not going to the guide dogs themselves). My girl is show line pedigree, would I be wrong to breed her with a working line?

I'm certain that I would get lots of support from them with my first experience, and it's reassuring to know that the stud will have had all necessary health checks and been well cared for. Not sure which way to go :-/

Thanks, Kate

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
.... So let me just get this right, guide dogs have been kind and lovely and decided that they will 'allow' your girl to whelp a litter for them as long as you use one of their stud dogs... and some of the puppies will go into the associaton, and some be left for you to sell?

Can i ask, are you paying them a stud fee and are they buying the puppies from you or are you expected to 'donate them'? Private response most welcome.....

I ask for a reason, not to criticise YOU at all...... I know of a number of people who have close links with a charity, are experienced breeders, and hugely benevolently decide to have a litter FOR the charity and donate some puppies from it.... so the charity have a say in which dog they prefer them to use... but this sounds a little different to that and its your first litter....

My second question before replying more generally, is, when you say 'you don't know which way to go...' what other options have crossed your mind in terms of breeding options as this is quite an unusual arrangement....? More commonly Guide dogs have their own brood bitches they use with their boys inhouse or in a 'placement home'..... What made you look to Guide dogs for a stud dog? Chances are their stud dog is all showbred even though he *has a job and so 'works' as such*, they tend to prefer showlines to working because they are often a more convenient size to be a sturdy companion for their owner...

Di

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No stud fee, they will take one pup in lue of stud fees, IF they have any other pups they will pay if we ask them to but we are happy for half the litter to be donated and have at least 2 to sell to waiting friends. I will have to travel to them (3 hour round trip with approx 1-2 hours waiting in between) when the time is right for mating on two days.

Or do we choose a stud more local - cuts out unnecessary travel, hanging around, childcare issues etc . Stud fees to pay of course, but will we get the same support? We would than likely have all of them to re home ourselves

Is it better to produce pups with a purpose (who I can be sure will be looked after) or hope that otherwise any pups we have will be going to great homes (even if we check thoroughly I feel I can never be entirely sure - can I live with that?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
... Ok, well what support have they offered? I wouldn't *assume* they will be hugely helpful just because it their sire and they themselves are experienced, remember these folks just handle these dogs for a job, they won't have a central advice line or anything like that and out of office hours... I couldnt guess at what support they will give... COULD be loads, but I think you are possibly crediting them with supporting you a little more than maybe you are likely to get.... BUT I could be wrong. Whatever support you get i'm sure it will be sound advice though from genuine experience its true.

Can i say.... and its something to think about.... if you are rating the fact that the pup or pups that do go to them will have a job, their failure rate is pretty high, and then they have free rein where those pups go. i have had puppies go to two assistance charities and I do not get a say where they go IF they fail (and not all have passed) ..... if you home your OWN pups you will at least know where they are if you take care in vetting people (gut instinct here is far more important than experience...)

Most well bred quality puppies go to super pet homes. yes indeed many stud dog owners know little about breeding but some do and its worth picking one that has an obvious history of breeding so they CAN answer your questions.

I can't see Guide dogs putting puppy sales leads onto you as they won't be an organisation people would think of to try and buy a puppy from, therefore for leads it may well be more sensible to use an experienced stud dog or breeding kennel who DO get puppy enquiries they can pass your way.

Truthfully, iit all sounds very jolly, but to be honest taking pups instead of stud fees can be seeped in problems if the bitch has only one or two pups and alo a stud fee (£400-500) is CONSIDERABLY less than puppy price (£650 - £750) and so they are getting A. VERY. GOOD. DEAL from you.

Where abouts are you roughly in the country?

Di

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It is very expensive to raise a litter of pups - If you can afford to lose money by giving them pups then think very carefully. Also their choice of sire may well not be yours. Please also realise not all pups make it through training and get rehomed. If you are intending to keep a pup make sure the sire would be what you want to keep. Good Luck with your plans whatever they are.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I second that on the money side of things and donating.

A litter will cost you, if it goes straightforward upwards of £1000 usually I have worked out over the years, and if it doesn't go well, vets bills can make that two or three times that, so SERIOUSLY, don't be hasty talking about donating multiple pups. Its very generous of you but its not something to be recommended for your first litter really. Maybe do it again if you find your girl flies it and you adore it, but this time, i'd keep things pretty normal if I were you....

I do have sheets on mating, pregnancy and whelping and rearing F you would like me to email them to you. If you DO by all means email me at [email protected]. No pressure on that.

Di

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
£1,000 is a nice low sum, my litter cost me in excess of £3k, that's over £3k in the red after any income from the sale of pups. But my girl did (admittedly) need an emergency c-section. That said, it can happen to anyone.

I'm not wanting to stick a damper on your plans, but being realistic about how much it can cost does help. I did also choose to use a stud dog over in North Wales (I'm in Yorkshire) and I also used progesterone testing (five in total) so the stud fees and progesterone testing alone were nearly £1k, add the cost of petrol and that alone was probably nearly £1,500.

No experience using a stud dog from the GDBA, but personally, I'd always choose a dog that matched my bitch, and what I wanted for a litter. Using their dogs wouldn't interest me, unless it was the right dog for what I wanted.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
You are Jill... in some cases yes. I know all the puppies we have ever had that have gone to assistance charities none have been transfered into the charities name... so rendering the Kc part worthless, which is their choice of course! They have other priorities... but also having had a bitch be used as a brood for one of the assistance charities (against my better judgement) none of her three litters were KC registered, so the puppies just fell into the ether, never to be tracked or traced again. :-(
Di

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
That fact alone will make a massive difference to where you find your puppy homes and how much you will get for them. Yes I dared mention the "price" :wink: .

There are still fantastic homes out there in this difficult economic climate for Kennel Club registered pups who are health tested and well raised but I believe its a whole other ball game for unregistered pups with no health tests.
People are practically giving them away at 11 and 12 weeks old as they can't find homes for them.

Lots for you to think about I think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think that you have been given some excellent food-for-thought and advice already.
Can I ask, did you approach GDBA? Did they assess your bitch? What motivatation have you for breeding from your bitch?

From my past experience with an assistance dog charity, I would suggest that you ask LOTS of questions and preferably in writing before making any commitment.

Regards, Becs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts