Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes after my day at work and on my way back walking with my 3 year old lab guide dog to home, although she is guiding me on harness, she stops me to poop and i wont have time to remove the harness. Is this acceptable ? It usually happens when during the day i give he some treats for doing a good job. Should i work to change her behaviour. I feed her twice a day and usually some treats and a dentastix during the day for good work since she has been only 2 months with me now

When this behaviour happens, its always while walking outside going back to home.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Would you not be better off asking the guide dogs for the blind? Also, if it's a problem, can you let her have a bit of free running at lunch time so she can perhaps toilet then?

·
Administrator
20,496 Posts
I would never suggest anything, because the guide dog people have their own way of training, so suggesting anything different could confuse the dog. What I will say though, is that back in the days when I was running training classes the guide dogs people used to send their local puppy walkers along to me to get use to walking around other dogs and people. I was not allowed to do any training, except sit stays and recalls. No heelwork because a guide dog needs to be forward of where we would want a pet to walk. But what I did used to do was suggest they train a command for urinating and defecation. It's so useful if a dog will perform on command. The command I use for my dogs is "Be quick." Words you can use anywhere without attracting attention to yourself. ;) It's simply a matter of giving the command every time the dog goes, and it will start to associate the command with the action. When I see my pup about to perfume I'll say "Be quick" and when it's finished It's "Good girl, good be quick!" in a happy voice.

John :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts