Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

First Post! Was wanting to ask if I should be concerned re my 11 month black lab bitch. We think she's taken another growth spurt so is having lots of naps etc. Yesterday we took her out the fields to throw a ball for her and noticed she was running differently from usual (almost a bit of a waddle when at a canter) and definitely slower in coming back to us.

Should we raise with a vet? Or is this likely just her legs having another growth spurt so need to take it easy for a little while. I.e. is this normal?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
At 11 months she will still be growing, although growth rate has slowed. But also at 11 months has she been in season yet, because that definitely could be the reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 11 months she will still be growing, although growth rate has slowed. But also at 11 months has she been in season yet, because that definitely could be the reason.
Hi John - she has just had her first season (started about the 10th Dec so finished at the start of this month). I suppose she could still be feeling the effects but would have expected that to wear off by now. Also does that explain the slightly strange running gait she has very recently developed?

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
I suppose she could still be feeling the effects
Easily. Dogs all feel seasons differently. Two extremes of mine, Mandy, my first Labrador would work right up to the start of her season, but after the season, forget it! She always, without fail had a broody 60 days! Anna on the other hand never had her mind on work for around a month BEFORE her season, but would knuckle down to work in instant it finished.
does that explain the slightly strange running gait she has very recently developed?
Not really. Also I would have thought it a little soon after the season for any nasties such as pyometra to develop. But it may be worth getting her checked over, just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easily. Dogs all feel seasons differently. Two extremes of mine, Mandy, my first Labrador would work right up to the start of her season, but after the season, forget it! She always, without fail had a broody 60 days! Anna on the other hand never had her mind on work for around a month BEFORE her season, but would knuckle down to work in instant it finished.

Not really. Also I would have thought it a little soon after the season for any nasties such as pyometra to develop. But it may be worth getting her checked over, just in case.
She has definitely been more of a wee sook over the last month or so, so we're happy to give her the extra cuddles she wants!

Will keep an eye on her next shes out for a bigger run and look to get her vet checked if still concerned. Thank you for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts