Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,


I've been reading the forums for years, but this is my first post.
I have a beautiful 12 year old called Elsa, she is really spritely for her age, having some hydro for osteoarthritis but otherwise fit and well.
We noticed a gum growth in between her teeth and vet says it's 50/50 possibility of cancer.
Options are to watch it and see if it changes or an operation to remove it / biopsy. The vet says there is a good chance if it was cancer that they could get it all while it is so small, but I'm terrified about putting her under anaesthetic aged 12....
Has anyone had to make a similar choice?
Thanks so much in advance
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,474 Posts
I had something similar with Amy, when she was the same age. only hers was on her side. The result of the biopsy came back inconclusive. Had it come back as cancer I "might" have gone for an op, but her health was not good in other ways so as they could not definitely say cancer I said no to an op. I'm personally sure it is cancer, it is continually weeping, but it does not worry her, even now at 14.5 years old. So I'm sure I did the right thing. Had she been still fit when it was first found I might have gone with an op. But quite frankly it's something only you can decide. Operations are never without risk, and the risk grows with age. The biopsy is not a problem. If she is steady they can do that with nothing. if she is very apprehensive then they may need a sedative, but I'd think nothing more. Then at least you will know what you are looking at. If it turned out to be an aggressive cancer then my attitude would likely be, "Well I have nothing to loose, so go with an op on the grounds that it might buy me a little more time with her." If not so aggressive then possibly leave well alone as the risk is greater than the cancer.

So sorry, not much advice from me. Whichever way you jump you will be doing the right thing as you see it. And that, sadly is the very best anyone can do.

Thinking of you, John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,781 Posts
If your dog is in good health your vet should be able to run tests to see if she’d tolerate a GA. I’d probably go for removal, chances are it’s something like an epulis which isn’t malignant but can be aggressive. My girl had one removed...twice. If you dog isn’t in good health then I’d leave well alone and keep a watching brief.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your advice, she is currently booked in to have it removed on Thursday, but I change my mind several times a day (and night!) it is reassuring to know you don’t think I’m doing completely the wrong thing if I opt for the operation. We’ll see what Thursday brings. Thanks again.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top