Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How much more can I expect her to grow at 6 and a half months?

Willow is teeny tiny, her Mum and dad are a good size but Willow is significantly smaller than them and her litter mates and is just scraping 17kg (weighed her today).

I am not worried about her at all, she is the perfect size for cuddles, she is full of energy, has good firm poos, she is very slim but not underweight. I just wondered, is she destined to be small, or could she just be a slow grower?
People are for ever asking me what she is as "she looks a bit like a labrador".

I have attached some pictures.. well just to show off how grown up and gorgeous she is!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Claire

I feel the same with Cooper - and get the same comments at the park. I think I remember the growth rate slowing down between 6-9months, so she still has time. Cooper is now 9 months and 23kg, but is quite short (i.e. If we're both standing, I can't pat his head without bending my knees :D ) and is also quite slender, with a narrow waist. He is athletic though and I can feel his muscles growing 8) and when he runs for the ball, he really goes for it!

I'm curious to hear what the oldies but goodies (aka more experienced owners) have to say about this.

Willow looks lovely btw!

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
She is very similar in size and build to how Coco was at her age. I think Coco probably stopped growing in height at around 9-12 months and then broadened a bit in her chest between 12-18 months. Coco is now just under 19" and weighs 22.5kg (is slightly overweight).

Just over 5 months

12 months

Unfortunately I can't find one showing her side on recently, they are all head first or action shots which don't really show her body shape.

And yes, Willow is gorgeous, just my sort of girl. (I favour yellows but was over-ridden by OH for a chocolate).

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Luna grew only a bit taller after 6 and a half months old. I do have to bend a bit to stroke her head properly, Tucker I don't but then he tends to want and reach for the fuss whereas Luna is less fuss-seeking!!

Tucker was just over 23kg when he came home at 14months and has now increased to just over 26kg at 3 and a half years old!

I'd say both of yours will have maybe a tiny bit more height to grow and will 'bulk' up over the next year or so but they're probably going to be on the smaller side of labs!

Mine were described as lovely 'pups' in the pub on Sunday and asked how old they were... I don't think he was expecting almost 6 years old and 3 years old as the response! They bring it on themselves by behaving like pups rather than grown-ups I think as much as their size!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kiki_Dollywood said:
Willow looks lovely btw!
Thanks! We took her to a garden center today and she trotted around next to me l, she only pulled a few times when we walked through the bird food area and she got a whiff of the fat balls! But other wise she was a star, people kept asking me what she is and how old she is as she "is so lovely snd well behaved"

She seems to be calming down a bit now, less bouncy at strangers, she didn't jump up and lunge at anyone today (except the lady in the wheelchair who patted her lap for willow to jump up for a cuddle!)

Coooer looks like a lovely boy, I love the picture of him flat out in his bed :D

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Yes, people still ask me how old Coco is and are surprised to hear that she is 5, though her grey chin is starting to betray her age a little now.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I originally found this forum because I was worried about Willoughby's lack of inches. He is eighteen months now and just over nineteen inches tall at the shoulder. He's stocky at 24 kg with quite short legs. We often get asked what type of lab cross he is. Labs come in a range of sizes and shapes from the big show type to the smaller working type, Dianne described him perfectly as a cut and shunt of both his parents, dad big heavy show type, mum little working type. He didn't really grow that quickly and has not got any taller from about a fourteen months. He is more muscular now, probably from all the swimming. With his elbow problem I'm quite pleased he's a small lab and easy to lift in and out of the car.
My original post is about dwarfism in Labradors and there is a very good growth chart posted, I'm useless at trying to add links.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
From the photos she looks similar to my Roxy. She is slender and has fine bone structure. Roxy actually stands as tall as my dog Buster so technically isn't tiny but people remark 'what a big strong dog' he is because he is very muscular with a large head. The same people comment how little Roxy is. It must be the bone structure as much as the height. At the get together I saw shorter ones than her, she just 'appeared' smaller because she's dainty.

Roxy is like Willow and very fit and healthy and charges around at lightning speed. I will try to add some photos. She's 17 months old now. I would quite like her to bulk up a little but at the same time I won't mind at all if she doesn't.

Willow has a very pretty face and I agree with you she looks the perfect size for a cuddle.

I think this was about six months

This one around a year, she's the same height as Buster now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
She still has knees Claire so has a bit more height to go yet. You know my Harry, he is 18 months now and hasn't hit 25 KG and is quite short. He is a full working bred dog and his small stature doesn't stop him working. In fact it's probably a bonus, he is very agile, fast and gets into cover so well I somethimes think he has spaniel in him!

I think Willow is coming along just right :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Willow looks just lovely.

Tarka is 10 months old, full working bred, slim and fast. She is just barely 21 kg now and it has taken ages to get here. At 5 months she was 11 kg and at 7 months 17 kg. I thought she was going to be tiny forever. She's a lot slimmer than most of the labs we meet but she is glossy and trim and very fit. In the last month or so she has begun to get a bit more solid in the chest, I've had to loosen her harness finally and she doesn't seem quite as spindly now. She is about 20 inches at the top of her shoulders. Here she is at 7 and 10 months.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts