Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here but your forum was a great help when I had a crocodile for a puppy and I hope you can help again.

I have a neutered black lab who will be 2 in April. He's a typical lab who has a love for life and finding mischief. He can be boisterous but has a lovely nature.

The last couple of days he has started some strange behaviour. He has started occasionally growling when we approach him. I walked past him as he was sleeping and he growled. Going into the same room as him without bothering him, he growled.

His general behaviour does seem a bit different. He's not as enthusiastic but he's still eating and enjoying his walks. We lost our old black lab about a month ago but he didn't seemed phased by it. And we still have another lab in the house.

I'm getting worried that it's going to escalate. Can anyone help? Please?

?

·
0 Posts
I'd get him checked over for any pain or discomfort. Any new behaviour like this at this age could easily be down to something hurting somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both. His ears seem fine but it's a good thought.

I will take him to the vet as I was wondering myself whether he could be in pain or discomfort. But as this growling is sporadic and doesn't seem to be triggered by anything I'm at a bit of a loss. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's been checked over by the vet and he has a split claw which must be causing him lots of pain. That was obviously the cause of his growling and his general odd, antisocial behaviour.

After just a day on painkillers and antibiotics he's getting back to his normal self which is a huge relief.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I have only just seen your post, really glad to read the update. Well not that he's had a painful claw of course, but that you seem to have found the root of the problem and that he seems to be feeling better already :)

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
What a super update! Glad that the cause has been found for his grumpiness and fixed :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts